Welcome and Experience South of the Middle Love Story

South of the Middle Love Story is an online novel. However, you get to follow the journey of the author writing the novel as she goes along. Start reading from Chapter 1 and move on to the next chapter as you would read a novel in a book form. Progressing chapter/s will be published as soon as the author is done writing it. So stay tuned and happy reading!

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Chapter 28

I was getting cranky by the day with Eric Phillips. He was supposed to tag along with me on my trip, not the other way around! He has been having his own agenda and I ended up having to adjust my schedule to accommodate what he needed to do because it was as directed by Derek Stearns. He said food couldn't be more important than a multi million dollar acquisition. I understood the reasoning; however, it wasn't my priority. I came here for materials so we could produce a magazine. I didn't come here to buy a magazine.

After bickering with him at breakfast, we decided to part ways and not eat breakfast together. I swear it felt like we were an old married couple. All we did was bickering and getting on each other's nerves. It seemed we had natural skills in making that happen.

I was super happy to get a little break from Eric. He ditched the Jeff Corwin look for a suit and tie. He has been wearing some very pricy safari type shirt with plenty of ventilation. It made me laughed though he looked quite dashing in it nonetheless. However, when he walked in to the hotel's restaurant in a nice tailored tan colored suit, I did swallow a couple gulps of air as a reaction to the sight of him. Perhaps he had to be what people would refer to as "beautimous." I just learned it meant beautiful and fabulous at the same time.

Anyway, enough about Eric. It didn't matter how beautimous he was; he's still more annoying than a zit inside your nose. It's unimaginable how annoying he is. I just couldn't stand the guy.

I went about my day with my local tour guide, a Singaporean girl by the name of Flora. She took me to a traditional kopitiam for a cup of super sweet coffee, since it was mixed with condensed milk. We also had soft boiled eggs, and kaya toast for our day break. Kaya is a type of custard made with eggs, pandan leaf, and coconut milk. They're rich and creamy and delicious on a piece of toast. It was a great breakfast and it was much better than any breakfast I could have had with Eric. I was satisfied and happy.

Flora and I then went hunting for the king of Cat Mountain Durian. Durian is a fruit known for its distinctive pungent smell. It's definitely an acquired taste and it looks very very exotic with sharp thorns on its outer shell. Once you crack it open, you will find compartments where the fruits reside. The flesh is soft, creamy and fibrous, and if you liked it, it tastes delicious. If not, just imagine eating crap.

I happened to like it. I wish Eric would have been with me. It would have been priceless to see his beautiful face gagged. I knew with this one, he wouldn't be so open minded about trying it. It was just too bad he had to buy a magazine.

Then, we went to Dempsey Hill to check out what's available for the westerners. We found a quaint and cool grocery store called "Jones The Grocer," and it felt like home. I was in an orgasmic state when I walked into their cheese cooler. The selection they had was quite nice though being so far away from cheese producing countries. We had a little snack slash lunch there of salumi platter and several types of cheeses. I dipped my cheese in the truffle honey they served on the side, and it was superb. At first, I was skeptical thinking they added truffle oil to the honey; yet, it wasn't the case. It was great. Getting truffle oil drizzled on your food is as annoying as having to dine with Eric Phillips. I can't stand it!

Finally, it was time to re-group and catch up with Eric. It was unfortunate, but what else could I do. He texted me saying to meet him for dinner at Arab Street. Flora dropped me off at Arab Street and I took a walk along the neighborhood and it was pretty fascinating. As I passed one of the outside hookah cafes, I couldn't believe my eyes. I thought I saw Nigel. I quickly glanced away and thinking I was hallucinating. I went on taking pictures, and observed the street and tried to capture the lives the street had. When I looked back at the guy at the hookah cafe, I saw Eric sitting across from him. Now, I started rubbing my eyes. The guy turned towards me, as well as Eric. They both waved and called me in.

Son of a gun, it was Nigel.

Again, I looked like crap. I had been running around Singapore all day, eating Durian, and in this triple digit heat. I looked up to the sky and saw the mosque with its light kept on changing color accentuating twilight. I said out loud in Arabic, "Bismillah" asking God for mercy.

When I got there, I just really gave it up to destiny. Nigel looked so handsome I couldn't believe my eyes he was there. He had on a green Burberry polo shirt with khaki shorts. He actually looked like a hot tourist. Eric had a buttoned down casual shirt with shorts as well. He folded the sleeves up to his elbow. Both men looked incredibly handsome even in their casual get-ups. I had on a wrinkled white dress. My shoulders started to bruise from carrying my camera bag all day. I didn't even have a chance to freshen up.

Yet, Nigel looked super happy to see me. He opened his arms and I really didn't have much choice but to walk right into it. He landed a kiss on my forehead.

"What did you mouth off over there, Sabby?" that was the first thing Nigel said to me. He didn't even say hi.
"Hi Nigel. Surprise to see you here." I said, annoyed. Yet, I breathed in his scent and it felt like home.
"Hi.." He said and smiled.
"I think she said Bismillah.." Eric said and laughed. "It means in God's name in Arabic." Eric said as he read it off his phone.
"I just needed God's help." I said. "First word that came to mind when I saw the mosque and you." I said, referring to Nigel. "I meant no disrespect." I said.
Both Nigel and Eric  tried to pull a chair for me; however, Nigel won and Eric let Nigel helped me to sit down. What gentlemen these two.
Nigel flagged down the waitress and Eric handed me the pipe.
"No thanks." I said.
"Oh...come on...one drag." Eric said.
"I don't smoke."
"It's water pipe.." Nigel said.
I rolled my eyes and took a drag. It actually was nice.
"Not bad, right?" Eric said and smiled.
"It's alright." I said. I turned to Nigel... "What are you doing here, Mr. Gallagher?" my eyes were so accusatory towards him.
"The acquisition." Eric said. "What else."
"I'm only here for three days. I'll return to Chicago when you two are heading to Cambodia."
"That's a short trip." I said. "That'll kill you."
"I know. It'll be brutal." Nigel said. "But this needs to be done."
"I don't know what you two are up to with his acquisition." I said. "I don't want to know."
"It's a good thing, Sabrina." Eric said. "We're expanding. Business is good." I nodded. "Yeah, for sure." I said.
Nigel kept on looking at me, and I could see sadness in his eyes. At times however, his eyes flickered also with a tinge of excitement. I sure love that man no matter how hard I tried not to, no matter how hard I tried to hate him. I couldn't even fake the feeling I felt to see him here half way around the world. He's like an oasis in the midst of angst I had been feeling day in and day out with Eric. I wish I could get rid of Eric so I could talk to Nigel in private. Yet, I knew it wouldn't happen.

We ended up eating dinner in a nearby restaurant and continued on drinking. I didn't know what to do with these two and I just really had to drink until I really passed my limit. I knew I got super drunk. I didn't even know what I was saying or doing. It was a total blur. Last thing I remember was pounding on the table after I slammed the shot glass on it and screaming 'it isn't fair.'

The only retribution was Nigel and Eric were pretty wasted too. It would be super funny if we ended up in a threesome together. No, that wouldn't be funny at all. Sure enough, when I woke up, I wasn't in my room. We were in a nice suite overlooking the beautiful Singapore skyline. I saw Eric totally passed out face down on one of the sofas. I crawled a little bit from the chaise where I had laid down, and I looked around for Nigel. This must have been his suite. He had to be on the bed. As I walked incoherently trying to find Nigel or my way out, I found him sitting on the desk, working on his laptop.

I walked towards him, and I brushed his shoulder with my body by accident.

"Hey.." I said. He turned to see me, and he put his arm around my waist trying to steady me.
"Heeey..." he said. "What are you doing up?" He asked.
"I should ask you the same thing." I said.
"Jet lag." He said. "I was out for a bit too, believe me." He said. "But now, I'm up. Not even sleepy or tired."
"Was I that drunk?"
"Oh..yeah." Nigel said and laughed.
"Great." I said. "Getting lit with my two bosses."
Nigel chuckled a little. "What happened on the road.."
"Stay on the road." I said and laughed as I nodded agreeing to it. "Surprised that you didn't take advantage of me."
"What made you think I didn't?" Nigel asked naughtily.
I believed him for a split second and I checked my clothing... I looked disheveled but he didn't do anything to me.
"I can't believe you actually thought I did." Nigel said.
"I'm just checking."
"Yes, Eric and I took turn on you. Except, I boxed his nose when he tried to take his turn. That's why he's out." I hit him hard on his shoulder blade.
"That's nasty." I said to him.
"Well..?" He asked in disbelief. I felt sick and I started rubbing my tummy. I held his hand...and he caressed my hand softly as he put me on his lap.
"Take me back to my room." I said. "I don't think I could make it on my own."
"Just stay here."
"No.." I said. "If I had my better judgment, I wouldn't be here even now."
"Here we go again, Sabrina the prudence."
"Call me what you want." I said. "You must mistaken me for Charlotte Reed."
Nigel shook his head and laughed. "Let's go. I'll take you to your room before Eric hears anything and all these rubbish about Charlotte Reed."
"He's out." I said.
"I thought you were too." Nigel said. "Look at you now - up and giving me a hard time."
"I think I'm going to be sick." I said. I ran to the bathroom, and I just made it in a nick of  time to the toilet. Then, everything came out. Great! I just barfed in Nigel's toilet.

Nigel ran after me, and he stood by the door.
"Are you okay, honey?" He asked.
I couldn't even answer him as the second wave of barf came flowing out of me.
"Uhhhh.." Nigel grunted. Instead of leaving, he knelt next to me, and held my hair.
"Oh my God.." I said... "Oh my God." I said as I slouched down to the floor, mortified.
"Are you okay?" Nigel asked again.
"Kill me... kill me now." I said mortified. Nigel handed my hair to me, and he got up to get me a wet towel. I flushed it all out and I just couldn't believe Nigel saw everything. Nigel handed me the towel.."thank you." I said and wiped my mouth.
"Feeling a little better?" He asked. I nodded.
"Yeah...just mortified." I said. "I couldn't believe I just barfed in front of you and you were holding my hair."
He looked at me with love as he caressed my hair and tucked it behind my ear, and he said..."I've seen worse." he said. "Many many times." He must have been referring to Marcy being sick.
"Still.." I said. "It wasn't exactly how I wanted you to see me."
"I love you, Sabby. A little projectile of vomit wouldn't change my feelings for you." He said as he kissed my forehead. You didn't know the emotions I felt inside of me. It must have felt like the barf swirling down in a cyclone down the pipe.
"It could be worse. I could have vomited on you."
"That would be worse." Nigel said. "In that case, I would have to drag you in the shower with me." I smiled a little imagining how nice would that be. Instead, I just looked down and the next thing I said was..
"Uh, Nigel... please give me a moment to gather myself." I said as I looked up to him.
He nodded and closed the bathroom door.

He took me back to my room, and I turned around to him when I got to my door and opened the door. I was going to say good night. However, Nigel pushed open the door and walked in.

"I didn't say you could come in."
"I paid for your room." He said.
"No, the company will." I said.
"The company that I own." He said. I rolled my eyes.
"You can't be serious." I said.
"Hey, I'll use any excuse I can to make you stop pushing me away."
I threw my hands in the air. "Dude, you're married and have a girlfriend. Leave me alone." I said.
"Dude?" Nigel asked. "I'm a dude, now?"
I sighed..."I'm still drunk and my head is pounding. I don't know what you want from me."
"I tried to call you so many Goddamn times and you didn't even care to answer nor return the calls."
"Well, I would think you would get the hint. Don't tell me you're my boss and I had to return your calls."
"As a matter of fact, I am your boss. What if it's work emergency?"
"Fire me." I said.
"Don't tempt me." He said. I turned around to him huffing.
"Don't piss me off even more, Nigel." I said.
"You wouldn't be pissed off if you would have given me a chance to explain. Did you hear my messages??"
"I deleted them. I had enough hearing men's bullshits."
"Oh dear Jesus, Sabrina." Nigel said. "You're one difficult woman." He said as he came towards me and lunged at me. He grabbed my body in one sweep ever so sexy, and next thing I knew he was kissing me. I pushed his body away, but the next breathe, I couldn't fight it. I didn't want to fight it.
We fell on the couch, and we kissed and kissed. My tears rolled down my cheeks the whole time.

It was always bitter sweet when it came to Nigel. I had been feeling so hurt the past week, and at the same time trying to hate and stop loving this one man I truly love. But he's here, and he was kissing me and loving me and whispering how he missed me.

When our eyes met, and we stopped kissing, I saw those beautiful green eyes were so full of love. They were so beautiful I had to look away.

"I love you." He said. "I missed you, darling like you wouldn't believe."
"Is that why you came?" He nodded.
"Yes. Because you wouldn't return my calls."
"I need to change." I said. "I feel crummy."
I pushed him to side, and got up from the sofa. I went to the bathroom and brushed my teeth. I couldn't believe Nigel kissed me after I vomited. If that wasn't love I didn't know what else.
I took off my dress and washed up. My shoulders were sore and I could feel the tension I carried there. I stood there in front of the mirror in my underwear looking at the girl who again just kissed a married man. I hated myself for being so weak. I hated myself for being such a fool to fall in love with a man like Nigel. I really wished things were different but reality was hard and cold.

Nigel came in to the bathroom. I was startled at first and tried to cover up.

"What are you doing? The bathroom is occupied."
"I was wondering if you were okay." Nigel said. "You're taking a very long time." He said but his eyes were fixated on my semi naked body. 
He came towards me and stood behind me. He caressed my bruised shoulders as he played with my bra strap, and he kissed it. His lips felt so warm against my skin. He put his arms around my bare belly, as he caressed it softly.
"You're so beautiful, sweetheart." he said.
"I'm sure not as beautiful as Charlotte Reed." I said. "Please get off of me." I said as I pushed his hands down and off my belly. I turned around, and I saw he had an erection. I couldn't help but laugh.
He said.."that's a great way to kill the mood."
"Well, yeah..." I said. "It's probably a good thing that the mood is killed." I said.
"Charlotte Reed, or should I say, Doctor....Charlotte Reed, is my therapist." He said.
I frowned when I heard that.
"If you would have listened to my messages, you would have known." Nigel said. "I've been going to see her during lunch break for the past three months." Nigel said.
"Don't bullshit me." I said.
"I'm not bullshitting you." Nigel said. "She's a licensed psychologist. She's been helping me cope with the stress of work, a sick wife who doesn't love me, and falling in love with a woman who works for me who wants me and rejects me at the same time. Yes, I've been in therapy."
"Do you always buy your therapist a Tiffany diamond necklace, Nigel?? Do you??" I snapped.
Nigel looked at me funny... "What?" he asked.
"You heard me!" I said.
"Where did you hear these things??" He asked and laughed. "In fact, how did you find out about Charlotte?"
"Your secretary has a big mouth. But who would blame her? That's part of being a secretary."
"Beverly?"
"She has one humongous mouth too, but your New York assistant."
Nigel shook his head back and forth in disbelief. He then said.. "I guess I need to talk to her."
"To keep her mouth shut next time?"
"Yes and no." Nigel said. "I'll be right back. Stay put." He said.

When he left I quickly bolted the door and put "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door. If he came back, I couldn't and wouldn't know how to stop things from happening. I haven't really done a good job so far. I needed to digest the fact that Charlotte Reed wasn't Nigel's other girlfriend, but his therapist. However, why would he be buying her a necklace?? To say thanks? I guess I didn't understand the gift etiquette for the ultra rich people. To me, a Tiffany diamond necklace is a gift for a special woman in a man's life.  About ten minutes later, I heard a knock on my door.

"Sabrina...please open."
He kept on banging on the door.
"Nigel...go back to your room." I said. "It's late and I'm sick." I said. "I'll see you tomorrow."
"Sabby... please. Stop pushing me away."
I put my cheek on the door as I wiped away tears.
"Good night, Nigel. Try to get some sleep." I said.
"Sabrina.."
I just stayed quiet. Then I heard he said..
"I'm leaving something out here for you. Please go get it after I leave."
"Another trick, Nigel?" I asked.
"No trick, sweetheart." He said. "Good night."

I looked through the peep hole he was walking away. I was contemplating to open the door or not, because he could just barge in again. Boy, what a night. As usual, even if it was 3 A.M in the morning, I had my usual tug of war in my heart. I wished I could have him on my bed, and not have anything to worry about. That feeling when he was on top of me on the couch, kissing me, felt like a dream come true. It felt so nice.