Welcome and Experience South of the Middle Love Story

South of the Middle Love Story is an online novel. However, you get to follow the journey of the author writing the novel as she goes along. Start reading from Chapter 1 and move on to the next chapter as you would read a novel in a book form. Progressing chapter/s will be published as soon as the author is done writing it. So stay tuned and happy reading!

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Chapter 29

With the safety chain on, I cracked the door open. I peeped through the opening, and I saw that Nigel did leave something on the floor. My heart sank when I saw the blue box with white ribbon. Could it be...?

I quickly grabbed it, and I closed the door. I sat on the floor as I leaned on the door. I stared at the box for awhile. I was totally in disbelief that this whole time I was suspecting Nigel bought another girl a diamond necklace, and it could have been for me all along. In a haste, I pulled the ribbon off the box, and tore it open. Sure enough... it was a platinum necklace with 4 marquis cut diamonds as a pendant. It was so beautiful. My jaw dropped and I felt like such a fool.

What moron I have been. It has never crossed my mind even once that Nigel was buying a Tiffany diamond necklace for me. I felt so horrible but at the same time ecstatic. I have never received such an extravagant gift like this, not from any man and especially not from my boss.

I called his room right away and he answered.

"I take it you got my gift?" He said.
"Come back here." I said.
"I'm actually getting really sleepy."
"Oh.."
"You had your chance." He said and laughed.
"I suppose I did." I said. "Listen, I'm sorry." I told him, softly.
"I didn't hear you. What did you say?" Nigel was being facetious.
"I said I'm sorry!!" I said out loud.
"Oh, that's what I thought you said. I just want to make sure I heard you right."
"I deserve that."
"Will you start trusting me now?" He asked. "It's completely unacceptable that you had been really cruel to me because of office gossips."
"I wasn't trying to be cruel." I said. "I wish you knew how it made me feel."
"I know." Nigel said. "I'm sorry you had to go through that."
"I dragged you down with me." I said.
"I came from New York that day before you were leaving town so I could see you and give you the necklace. But, you were utterly impossible."
"I thought you were a two timing lying bastard."
"You did tell me, however, that.. I had to find somebody else who would accept my situation since you wouldn't."
"I didn't mean it. None of it."
"Oh, is that so, Sabrina?"Nigel chuckled.
"Even if I did, it wouldn't be easy for me to accept that you're actually doing so with someone else."
"Well, I wasn't."
"Well, I didn't know."
"Well, you need to hear me out next time. Please...don't do this to me ever again." Nigel said.
"I'm really sorry." I said. "I truly am. But it didn't change anything between us, Nigel."
"I know. Just stop pushing me away and treating me like I'm a monster. I feel bad enough already dealing with our situation the way it is. Though, I know having feelings for you made me a bad man, I'm not a monster, Sabby. I'm actually a decent person."
"I know, sweetie." I said "I struggle with the same dilemma everyday."
"No matter what though, I want you in my life and I don't care in what capacity. I just want you in it." I couldn't help but to smile to hear what he had to say. I was so taken by his words that I forgot I was on the phone with him.
"Okay, Sabrina?"
"Okay." I said. "Why don't you go to bed if you're sleepy."
"Mh..okay.." He said and yawned. "By the way, did you like the necklace?"
"I love it...but I can't accept it." I said. "It's way too pricy and sure it's against company's ethical policy."
"I'll take care of it tomorrow." he said.
"How?"
"You'll see." He said. "Mh, how disappointing that I didn't get a chance to see your reaction when you opened it."
"I know." I said. "It wasn't pretty." I said and laughed. "Normally, I would do the oohs and aahs like any girl would do getting a blue box. But this time it was more like... 'aw shit! What did I do'."
Nigel laughed out loud... "Served you right. But that would have been priceless to see."
"Hahaha.." I laughed. "Yeh, I'd say."
"Please wear it tomorrow." He said, followed by another yawn. "Good night."
"Good Night." I said. 

I never thought I would sleep with a smile on my face tonight. I didn't sleep very well however because of the amount of alcohol I consumed and the excitement of what happened tonight, or should I say morning. My mind was way too wired to have a recuperating sleep. Even though I was asleep, my mind was up and I dreamed about the most obscure thing. I dreamed about Victoria having an affair with Jax; however, in my dream Jax was Emma's John. Then Emma was screaming at Victoria; however, in my dream, Victoria was me. When I woke up, I had cold sweat and my head felt like it was going to explode.

It seemed God was trying to tell me that I didn't have the place to be high and mighty to Victoria when I'm doing something a little worse than her. It's up to people's judgment I guess which was worse - sleeping with your best friend's ex, or being in love with someone's husband. Yet, it wasn't a competition and both of us are crummy women for doing these awful things.

I couldn't help to feel awful about it; yet, like Nigel said, I know I am not a horrible person. My parents raised me right and I do have my head screwed on right. This constant dilemma about doing the right thing and fighting the feelings in my heart that felt so natural is eating me alive.

I woke up super late, and I got a text from Eric.

"Nigel asked to leave you alone. We're off to our meeting. Text when you're up and about."

I looked at the clock and it was almost 11 o'clock. I did have an appointment with Flora at 10 A.M. After calling her and apologizing, I went about my day. This time, we had lunch trying the Malay cooking at Kampung Glam. It was so much fun and it felt great in my tummy.

Then, Eric texted me "Get here, stat. Drop whatever you're doing."

Again, I had to apologize to Flora, but she understood and I was pissed because again I had to rearrange my day for Eric. Then, I realized, it was for Nigel too. Then, I didn't feel so bad. Flora took me to the office of Singapore City Magazine in Shenton Way.

When we got to the front of the office building, I saw Nigel and Eric were standing outside talking.

"What are they doing outside?" I said to myself.
"Those are your bosses?" Flora asked.
"Yes, those two gentlemen over there."
"Wow, Sabrina... how could you focus on working?" Flora asked and giggled. "They're so handsome." I turned to see her and smiled.
"It's tough at times." I said.
"Which one you don't like?"
"That one on the right, Eric." I said.
"He's gorgeous!" Flora said.
"Do you want me to introduce you?" I asked.
"Oh...for what?" Flora said and laughed. "I'm married."
"Oh.." I laughed.
"Besides, I can't park here. Are they single?"
"I think Eric is. Nigel is married." I said.
"You and Eric actually make a nice looking couple."
"What? Me and Eric? Uh uh.... That's never gonna happen!" I said and laughed.

Eric saw me and flagged me down. So I said good bye to Flora and joined them. I had strapless sun dress in soft purple, and I had on the necklace. I had to do it after what I had done to Nigel. This was his time for me to kiss his bottoms a little.

"What are you two doing outside?" I asked.
"We're done with the meeting." Eric said.
"So, why did you tell me to come?"
"I said stat over an hour ago. This place is walking distance from the hotel."
"Well, I wasn't at the hotel. I had work to do you know."
"Children.." Nigel said. "Stop." I rolled my eyes and folded my arms as I turned to Nigel. Nigel looked at me with a smile and he was eyeing the necklace on my neck. He then cracked a bigger smile.
"No harm done." Nigel said. "Sabrina didn't know."
"What do you need me for?"
"Nigel wanted you to talk to the editorial staff." Eric said.
"But it's done. We signed the deal."
"It's a done deal?" I asked. "That quick? Eric said you were still on the due diligence phase?"
"We decided to move ahead with it." Nigel said. "It's a good buy."
"Wow." I said.
"Be happy, Sabrina." Nigel said. "Joie will be in Asia Pacific too now." Nigel high-fived Eric who had a big smile on his face.
"I really didn't know what happened to my South East Asian food trip." I said. "I couldn't even get half of the stuff I want to accomplish done." I said.
Eric put his arm around me and I turned to see his hand that was nested on my shoulder thinking what the hell was he doing putting his arm around me. He then said..
"Relax, Sabby. You got plenty done." Nigel wasn't pleased to see me inside Eric's embrace. He pulled my hand towards him, and I walked towards Nigel, leaving Eric behind.
"This will be your baby." Nigel said to me. "You will be in charge of the transition process from Singapore City Magazine to Joie Asia Pacific, then lead the division." My mouth gaped open.
"What?"
Eric smiled... "Yeah, Sabby. Congrats. You will be the Editor in Chief of Joie Asia Pacific."
"Will that require me to live here?" I asked with a lot of reservation and confusion.
Nigel shook his head. "Just a lot of traveling to these exotic part of the world."
I was still in disbelief... "Get out you two. Nigel, is this your doing?'
"It was Eric's idea." Nigel said.
I turned to Eric. Eric laughed and threw his hands in the air... "It was a no brainer move, Sabby. No one else can do the job better than you. It just makes sense."
"After I got totally wasted with the two of you, you want to give me a promotion?"
"Yeah!" they both said it in unison. I laughed as I put my hand in my forehead as I felt the headache coming in again.
"Let's go in... let's introduce Sabrina to the staff." Eric said.
"No..not today. Not looking like this." I said.
"You look fantastic." Nigel said.
"I'm not ready.." I said.
"Well, tonight at the gala."Eric said. "We can introduce her to the managing team."
"What gala?" I asked.
"Black tie event at the Singaporean Tourism and Travel Board." Eric answered.
"When do you guys plan to tell me this? My God!! I don't have anything to wear to a black tie gala! I didn't bring a gown! I didn't even bring heels!" I said.
"I meant to tell you last night.." Eric said as he scratched his brow.
"But, if I recall, we were all... what did you call it, Sabby?" Nigel said.
"Wasted."
"Yes."
I laughed exasperated being volleyed back and forth by these two. All of a sudden, Nigel said...
"Well, Eric... we'll see you tonight. Sabrina and I have some shopping to do."

Nigel whisked me away, and I just followed him. He was right, we had some shopping to do. I turned to see Eric, and he just laughed and waved at us.

"A promotion, really?" I asked Nigel when we comfortably sat in a taxi cab.
"Yes, really."
"Don't you think people will say something if they ever found out about us?"
"What about us? There's nothing going on with us."
"Nothing going on and how come you have your hand on my thigh?" I asked. He looked down to his hand, and he smiled...
"My hand has a mind of its own." Nigel said without removing it. I laughed and I removed it and held it.
"Are you trying to hide me away from every one?" He smiled.
"Yes." He said.
"Nigel!"
"It'll be great, Sabrina. You're way too talented to just handle the food section of Joie. I saw you in action. So did Eric. He had nothing but good things to say about you. This is what the audit was about."
"Are you serious?"
"You haven't figured that one out?"
"No... I am totally dumfounded." I said. I just couldn't believe that the audit was more of a job interview than an actual audit. It all made sense now why they singled me out for an audit. I just never saw it coming. I really didn't. I couldn't believe I didn't figure it out.
"Sweetheart, you really need to start to look at the positive on something. Don't always think of the worst scenario."
I nodded. "Noted." I said. "I've been totally wrong." I said confused.
"You're a fantastic person." Nigel said. "That's why I love you. You protect whom you love and you fight for them."
"I've been on the defensive for quite a long time." I said as I put my head on his shoulder. "I'm so tired..so tired of it." He looked down towards me as he kissed my forehead.
"Good things are happening, baby." He said. "Open you arms wide open and reap them in."

We went shopping at Orchard Road, and we had a ball taking a walk along the road. We stopped at the Takashimaya building where Chanel was located. Nigel dragged me in there after I refused profusely. He finally told me not to make a scene and that we were just going in there to look. We didn't. Found a dress I absolutely loved for about my whole paycheck. It was quite a simple black dress but it was so elegant. Then, I found a Jimmy Choo's heels to go with it. 

"Don't be ridiculous." I said when Nigel was going to pay for my items.
"This is business expense." Nigel said. "Put your credit card away." He said. "Again, don't make a scene."
"You can't be serious." Nigel looked at me and smiled. "You need to learn to enjoy being treated like a queen by a man."
I smiled as I caressed his cheek. "You know, I can get used to this rather quickly."
"I sure hope so." Nigel said.

I stood there, again dumfounded for the umpteenth time this week. I tried to savor that feeling being treated lavishly by a man. It felt unnatural to me. I tried to soak in his masculine energy and tried to get rid of the penis I thought I had. A man like Nigel just wanted the feminine energy from his woman, and though I am not his woman, I knew that was what he wanted. He didn't want a girl with a man complex next to him.

"Do you have one Singaporean dollar?" He asked.
"Yes.." I said and dug through my purse and handed him a dollar.
"Thank you." He said. "Now, we're even."
"Pardon me?" I asked and laughed.
"This is payment for your necklace and everything else."
"Hahaha...Nigel....you sneaky man." He laughed.
"You bought it." He said. "Good deal."
I just started laughing and put my arm around his. "I feel like Vivian in Pretty Woman."
Nigel laughed out loud. "She puts out though." Nigel said.
"She's a hooker." I said.
"Alright, case closed." Nigel said.

This trip to the South East finally picked up. All of a sudden from wanting it to be over soon, it changed to wanting to savor every minute of it. I didn't want him to leave tomorrow.