Welcome and Experience South of the Middle Love Story

South of the Middle Love Story is an online novel. However, you get to follow the journey of the author writing the novel as she goes along. Start reading from Chapter 1 and move on to the next chapter as you would read a novel in a book form. Progressing chapter/s will be published as soon as the author is done writing it. So stay tuned and happy reading!

Monday, March 5, 2012

Chapter 10

Other than my four dear friends, when all fail, I can always count on my first love - cooking. Cooking is almost like a therapy for me and it is even better than any human therapists with multiple psychology degrees. It is also better than any alcohol and drugs combined. Cooking can remedy my worst pain almost like magic. I can forget just about anything when I totally submerge myself in the kitchen. I can never feel bad being in the kitchen.

My mom told me I liked being in the kitchen from very early on. I had pictures of me as a toddler in the kitchen with my mom, working on a spice blend using her pestle and mortar. I also had recollection of how I loved pounding on the spices as hard as I could to make a good paste. Some moms would think it would be dangerous to let a little girl handling a pestle and mortar; but, my mom recognized my talent even then! I vividly remember being in Bali and picking up wild hibiscus flowers. Then, my mom showed me how I could extract oil from the flowers. We would soak them in water, and then we would squeeze real hard. Next, thick gooey oily substance would ooze out. We then used the oil to play cooking using clay kitchen appliances toys. These clay pots and pans were very traditional toys for little kids in Bali and Java Islands of Indonesia. They didn't have easy-bake oven and the sort back then. They weren't really toys because they actually were very functional. These thoughts were my oldest recollections of cooking and being in the "kitchen." I remember how fun it was and how I used to have such a blast playing.

Thinking about those old cooking memories brought a smile to my face. I didn't know why when I opened my eyes this morning, the first thing I thought of was cooking. Guess what? That would be just what I was going to do. I would forget about anything that wear heavy in my heart and set them aside. I would just cook my heart out today.

Well, Emma and John's little girl, Laurel, would be celebrating her fourth birthday exactly tomorrow. Emma has been planning a lavish party for Laurel for weeks now. I couldn't wait to see her hard work coming to life tomorrow. Emma asked me sometime ago about making the birthday cake. Frankly, I forgot but what a great project it would make for today!

I called Emma immediately..

"Hello.." That wasn't Emma..
"John!" I said. "You're not Emma." I said.
"I'm her husband." He said and laughed. "Her cell happened to be by me and it's ringing at 7 AM."
"Hahaha..sorry for calling so early." I said. "Did I wake you?"
"No...I was just trying to get some sleep. I just got home. I was at the hospital all night."
"Oh! My bad." I said. "Emma usually is up already this time of day..thus why.."
"I know, Sabrina. You don't have to feel bad." John chuckled. "I wasn't sleeping yet. Hold on..let me give this to her."

Not long I heard the familiar chirping of Emma's voice complete with her slight English accent.

"Yes, Sabby?"
"Em! what cake am I making?" I asked.
"You're talking about Laurel's birthday cake, are you not?"
"Yes! what else?"
"The day before the party you want to know what cake you are making?"
"I know..I know." I said feeling bad. It was really last minute on my part. "I've been so busy. I apologize for not checking sooner."
"Sabrina, I have ordered a cake!" Emma said.
"What?? How could you order a cake? From whom?!"
"From a local bakery close by here, Labriola."
"Emma....why did you do that?"
"Well...because!" She said. "You never confirmed. I had to get it done. It would be a disaster if my baby wouldn't have a birthday cake. She wanted a pink fairy cake."
"Oh...geez..." I said. "You bought a cake? Seriously?"
"Yes." She said. "I've been busy too. I figured if you didn't commit you're too busy and that's fine. I didn't want to impose."
"But you're not. Why didn't you pick up the phone and call?"
"Again, just because I am not working, does not mean I have all the time in the world! Oh, I've been so busy preparing for this party. So much shopping to do - getting Laurel's dress, shoes, and all the favor bags I'm preparing, and catering, and the cake, and decorations, and the stupid magician that I was going to hire was just getting on my last nerve!"
"Oh my... what are you going to do for Laurel's sweet sixteen party?"
"Oh...I have twelve years to think about that." Emma said. "First thing first."
"I'm being facetious." I said.
"Well, I'm not!" She said.

There it went my project, out the window.  Yet, it didn't stop me. I wanted to cook and I would do exactly that.Got to the office on time and I changed into my kitchen gear. I felt great already being in my chef garb. I may have looked great the other day all done up; however, chef coat, apron, and clogs are me. It couldn't get anymore natural than that for me.

Jenna and Gray, my other Research Chef, were already busy prepping for dishes to be photographed for today. We were working for Spring menu and Easter theme dishes. They were astonished to see me ready for war in the kitchen. Of course I didn't have much ingredients to work with since I didn't procure anything the night before. Thinking fast, I came up with four quick menu items for an indoor picnic luncheon. I already pictured the set - in a big loft apartment, a spread on the concrete floor. We could do it so easily in our studio next door. We had a cool set in this studio - exposed brick wall, concrete floor, big windows, wood beams...it would be just perfect with little tweaking.

I was making a shaved fennel and arugula salad with citrus dressing when I heard people were walking in.

"Hey hey...Sabby." Mh....sounded like the boss. I turned around expecting Jordan checking up on me.
"Hey J.." I said as I turned my neck to greet him. Yet, I found something unexpected in my horizon.

Nigel.

My mouth gaped a little, digesting who just entered my day. Nigel was behind Jordan and he and his eyes smiled immediately when our eyes met. My heart just melted. It just melted as soon as I laid my eyes on those green eyes of Nigel Gallagher. I quickly returned the smile and tried not to be too obvious though my heart was leaping out of my chest!

"Hello Sabrina." Nigel said friendly.
"Hi Nigel..." I said. "You're still in town." I said.
"I am.." He said. "I'm leaving on Sunday, as a matter of fact." He said.
"Yeah, he's staying put for Laurel's birthday party tomorrow." Jordan said. "Aren't you making the cake?"
Nigel's coming tomorrow? Oh my God! Oh, God. Oh good God. Oh good God get a grip, girl!
"Oh, wonderful." Nigel said. "Sabrina is making the cake?" Nigel asked Jordan. Jordan nodded and smiled.
"Actually I'm not." I said and smiled.
"No?" Jordan asked confused.
"No." I said. "Your sister ordered one from a local bakery by her. She said I didn't confirm soon enough and she didn't have time to chase me. So she just ordered one."
"Oh..Emma can be so impatient." Jordan said.
"Well, she's a busy mother of two." I said. "She had to get things done." I laughed.
"That's too bad." Nigel said. "Your cupcake the other day, was terrific. Spot on for Valentine's Day."
I smiled from ear  to ear.
"Was it, Nigel?" Jordan asked. "I didn't get to taste that."
"You weren't here." I said. "It was really good. Jenna did a good job. Besides, it was pink." I said.
"Ugh." Jordan muttered. "I have a feeling I will have plenty of pink to eat this weekend." I laughed.
"Oh yes.." I said. "You will. We all will." All of us laughed thinking about spending a Saturday in a kiddie party filled with pink dresses, pink cakes, and pink balloons.
"What are you making now?" Jordan asked. "You're done with Valentine's right?"
"Oh, if it were up to me, I would be done before I begin." I said. "It's done." I said. "I'm making fresh shaved fennel and arugula salad." I said. "I'm making a spread for indoor Spring picnic in Chicago."
"Indoor picnic?" Nigel asked.
"Hahah yeah...can't have picnic soon enough. It doesn't always have to be outside. All you need is some sunshine." I said. "I'm also making marinated artichoke and grilled chicken melt with ramp, arrow head chips, and apricot cobbler."
"Sounds great." Jordan said. "Sounds very seasonal."
"Yep." I said. "Surprisingly I get all the ingredients in the pantry." I laughed. "I'm almost done...I said. Will set these food next door in studio D. You guys want to join me for lunch?"I asked. That was a long shot. Surely they were busy.
"I can't." Jordan said. "I trust you, Sab. It'll be great. Just show me the shots." I nodded. I figured they wouldn't be able to join me.
"I'll join you." Nigel said. "I'm hungry." He smiled. My heart just left my body. I was dead for a little while. When the heart decided to return back to my chest cavity, I realized Nigel took me up on my lunch offer. I tried my best to cover my surprise. I was damn elated and ecstatic. What?!! Lunch with Nigel. No, not just lunch. It would be a picnic with Nigel!
"Only if you don't mind, Miss. Gilmour." Nigel said.
"Of course she doesn't." Jordan said. "You're welcome anytime. Any of these food are yours, practically."
I nodded and laughed. Nigel tilted his head, still looking for my acceptance without giving Jordan any heed.
"Jordan couldn't put it any better." I said. "It would be my honor if you would join me for some indoor picnic."
"Excellent." He said.
"Let's say 11:45?" I asked. "Studio D?"
"It's a date."

Did he just say it was a date? Oh Jesus, please help me. Give me some ventolin, seretide, singulair because I couldn't breathe. Oh, this would be how emphysema or asthma would feel. I just couldn't breathe. I needed a huge oxygen tank. As soon as they left my kitchen, I really did hyperventilated. If I were a dog, my tongue would be out of my mouth, panting like crazy.

As soon as I got my composure and realizing what was happening, I really couldn't stop smiling. The prospect of spending an hour or two with Nigel was creating so many different nuances of emotions within me. I was super excited I couldn't contain it. I didn't even think about what Victoria would say. I didn't care about what Roberta would think. I simply didn't think about any of it. I just focused on getting my food done as perfect as possible, coordinating with my staff for the picnic set up and the test shoot, and changing! I had less than two hours in making sure everything would be perfect. Goodness gracious, save me!

I felt a tremendous excitement and pressure like I couldn't believe. My stomach was so upset from the anticipation. It was too much. Oh, if only I blew this whole thing, it would be just great. No, it couldn't be. This time, things couldn't go south. It just couldn't.

Oh my - I couldn't wait until 11:45!! Can you believe it? It's Nigel. It's really Nigel! I heard music instantly playing in my head. My heart was filled with sweet melodies, and wonderful roses. Everything was in bloom. Garden of Eden was blossoming inside of me. It didn't feel like South of Heaven for once. It felt like I died and I actually went to heaven.

Yet, I could hear my heart beat so fast and loud. If I were strapped to a heart rate monitor, it would show that I was very much alive. Maybe this was what they called having the best of both worlds.