Welcome and Experience South of the Middle Love Story

South of the Middle Love Story is an online novel. However, you get to follow the journey of the author writing the novel as she goes along. Start reading from Chapter 1 and move on to the next chapter as you would read a novel in a book form. Progressing chapter/s will be published as soon as the author is done writing it. So stay tuned and happy reading!

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Chapter 11

It was incredible what you could get done in a short time when you received help from something called adrenaline. I didn't remember what I did in the hour and a half I had to prepare for my test shoot, and really..for my picnic with Nigel.  It was a total blur! Though it was the only thing that was on my mind, I didn't forget that at the end of the day he's still the managing partner of SGE and Joie Magazine. I had to still make sure that above all, it would still stay professional. It wasn't easy.

Thank goodness for a great crew. I love my two sous chefs/ research chefs so much. If they were an engine, they would be a twin turbo engine that work simultaneously without causing any lags. Thank heaven for Jenna and Gray. Though I cared about the food, the set, the lighting and everything else, I also cared about me. Unfortunately, I had to take almost 20 minutes with Victoria begging for clothing to change into.

"What's got into you?" Vic asked when I barged in to her office.
"Oh, boy!" I said as I fanned myself. "Do you have a brown bag?" I asked as I was panting.
"Sure." Vic said and gave me a reusable Bloomingdales' brown bag from her bottom drawer. She handed it to me. I took it and looked at it confused.
"What?" She asked.
"I mean brown bag so I can breathe into it... " I said. "or..barf." I started coughing and coughing.
"Oh..." Vic said. "How should I know. I only know one type of brown bag."
"Apparently." I said. "Vic...I need clothes!! Help me..help me...help me.."

I was frantic. I thought she was going to give me a hard time for wanting to look nice for Nigel. However, she just helped me and got me a really cute spring dress. It's white, light, and very springy.  It looked simple but for some reason, it looked really nice on me. I was really surprised that Vic dressed me perfectly on the first try. I actually really loved that Max Azria BCBG dress she loaned me. The dress complemented me very much but it didn't scream that I was trying hard. It was quite unassuming. I liked it. Vic also made her staff helped me with make up and hair.

"Be careful, Sabby." She finally gave me that accusing look. I was waiting for it since the first step I took into her office. I nodded. "It was my idea, but I didn't think he would take me up on it." I said.
Vic nodded. "It was innocent, Vic..I swear. I asked Jordan and him both just as a courtesy."
"Just be careful." She said. "But have fun. I could tell you're excited." She smiled.
"Excited..yeah..that's barely scratching the surface." I said. "Thanks.." I said as I looked at my dress and smiled. She nodded. "Don't get it dirty."
"I won't." I said and turned around and closed the door.

But then, I remembered I forgot to ask her about her remarks the other day concerning me doing something stupid with Nigel. So I quickly opened the door again..

"One more thing." I said.
"More?" She said. "What more could I possibly do for you, your Highness?"
I smirked. "Funny." I said.
"Well, I think  you used all your lifelines for a day!"
"Just a question. Yesterday - when I  told you I had a bad day, how come you thought right away I did something stupid with Nigel?"
"Uh...why wouldn't I?"
"Wouldn't I feel great if I did something bad with him?" I said. "You didn't think I had a chance with him, did you?" Vic looked at me, tilted her pretty head, and threw her pen to the table.
"If you felt great, Sabrina...then you're really not the friend I knew." She said. I was surprised seeing how Vic reacted so strongly against my question. After I heard what she said, it made sense to me. I totally saw it from the other way around. All I could do was just to smile and I closed the door.

All of a sudden I lost all that excitement. I was really excited to have this picnic with the guy I happened to have feelings for. It wasn't excitement because the managing partner took an interest in my project. No, it was because he happened to be the guy that has been filling my heart with dreams. However, listening to the last sentence Victoria said to me was like a knife that cuts a straight line down to the heart and stabbed me in the chest. She was right. This wasn't me. I felt like running away. I just wanted to go home and hide under a blanket.

Vic really knew how to kill the mood. Yet, it was me who posed the question. I got hung up thinking that it was all more like a competition and Vic didn't think I had what it takes to attract a guy. I always feel that she knows that she can get any guy she wants and can do it in a snap of a finger. I took offense thinking that she thought I was crazy to have the audacity to even hope that a guy like Nigel Gallagher would give me the time of day. While the whole time she was just thinking the fact that he's a married man.

When I got to the set, I was mesmerized on how well the chefs and the stylist had prepared the set. We usually don't do a test shoot this elaborate. However, Nigel would be joining us. The big arch window let in an intense sun rays magnified by the snow outside. It was really bright but it gave such life to the set. On the floor, my staff had laid a plaid picnic blanket, violet tulips on a Waterford vase, Denby spring collection place settings, and stemwares from Schott Zwiesel Tritan collection. It looked fabulous. The food was arranged nicely as well on the floor and we both were given a small tray tables which were a really nice touch!

"Whoaa..guys, this look fantastic!" I said. I got totally excited again looking at how great the food looked and how the set was just how I imagined it except better.
"Whoaa..chef, you look hot!" Gray said. "You cleaned up well." Gray said.
"Stop flirting with the chef, Gray." Jenna said and hit him on the arm.
"Hahaha..I'm just giving her a compliment. Why, you don't agree that she looks hot, Jenna?"
"Yeah, she's been dressing up lately." Jenna said and she gave me a frown. Then she muttered.."I wonder why."
"Ugh...because Nigel would do the test shoot with me. Duh." I said. "But oh my.... I love it I love it!" I said. "Gray, did you save some of the artichoke melt for our lunch?"
"Yep. I'll fire them as soon as you guys are done and ready to eat."
"Ok. Do we have any other wines?" I screamed.
"What do you want?" Jenna asked.
"Not Pinot Noir." I said. "Definitely not Pinot Noir." I said. "Get some sparkling. Prosecco or Cava."
"Yes, chef."

I was busy directing and coordinating that I didn't realize Nigel had arrived. The stylist took him to get him more comfortable and styled his clothing. He had on a dark blue suit with blue and white striped shirt. They took off his coat, and rolled his sleeve. He actually looked relax and ready for a picnic.

"Hey.." I said to him and smiled looking at him being manhandled.
He smiled at me and let out a laugh.."This is one of the most elaborate lunch ever."
"We're trying to kill two birds with one stone." I said and laughed. "Hope you didn't mind."
He shook his head. "No, not at all. I would look rather stupid if I stayed in my suit for a picnic, I suppose." He said.
"It's just a test shoot." I said. "If you prefer that."
"Don't be silly, Sabrina." He said. "This is quite all right."
"It won't take long." I said. "Then, we can really eat." I said. "This is payment for lunch." I said. "You're not surprised are you?"
"Of course not." He said. "It's a good use of company's money."
I laughed.
"You look lovely, by the way, Sabby." He said. He called me Sabby. I didn't think I have ever heard him called me that intimately. I really liked the ring of it. I couldn't help but smile.
"Thank you, Nigel."  I said and smiled and walked away because I was about to lose my wits.

We went right ahead to the test shoot. We actually had a lot of fun and Josh the photographer said we both looked very natural being fake models and all. I was surprised of how comfortable it was being photographed with Nigel. We just sort of talked and ate tiny bites. There was one shot taken when Nigel acted like he was reading Joie, and I tried to take a peek. I couldn't wait to see the results. We were done with the shoot in a half hour. By the time it was done, our table was ready. That's what happened when you had chefs on staff and a huge production kitchen. It was quite convenient and Gray did a marvelous job on the table setting.

"I must say that was quite a lot of fun, Sabrina." Nigel said.
"Hahaha...yeah, I agree." I said. "It was one of the coolest test shots I've done." I said. "Of course, it's special since we have you with us." Nigel laughed and made a hand gesture undermining what I said.
"It was your hard work that made it special." Nigel said. "..and your staff, of course. They did a marvelous job." He said.
"They're the best." I said. "I hope you're still hungry."
"I'm famished." Nigel said. "The little bites were really cruel tease."
"Well, here's the real lunch." I said as I served him one of the artichoke melt sandwich.
"Mh...I can't wait to sink my teeth into it."
"Go right ahead." I said. "Thank you by the way, for being a good sport."
"No..no...I was excited." He said. "Jordan warned me I wouldn't eat for free."
"hahaha." I laughed. "We usually didn't do such an elaborate test shoot. But when everyone realized you would be joining us for lunch, it just upped the ante by several notches."
"Ah." He said. "They took me that seriously around here?"
"Yeah, I don't know why." I said sarcastically.
"Yes, I wouldn't know either." Nigel said as silly. I laughed watching him. "Mh..mh...this is so delicious."
"Thank you." I said.
"You just thought of making this today? The whole combination?"
"Well, yes..but it's hardly a ticket to win the Nobel prize." I said.
"If it were up to me, it would be a different story." Nigel said. I just couldn't help but smile looking at him enjoying the food I created. He was so into eating the sandwich. He looked so happy. He looked so handsome. Gosh, he looked so damn handsome. His eyes were sparkly green like emerald in the sun. I just wished I could reach to him and kiss those artichoke laced lips.
"...and these little chips! What did you say it was again?" He said out loud, waking me up from my day dream.
"Oh! Arrow heads, or arrow roots." I said. "It's quite popular in the Asian communities during this time around Chinese New Year." I said. "Very tasty, right?"
'They're superb!" Nigel said. "I can't believe I have never had it. All I know is they make powder out of Arrow roots."
"Yes...we use it in a lot of slurry.."
"As a thickener."
"You're absolutely right." I said and nodded. "This is a very healthy starch, Nigel. It has very low glycemic index, much lower than potatoes. It's great for diabetics." I said.
"Is it really?" Nigel asked. "Something this yummy?"
"Especially if you didn't deep fry it, they're even healthier." I said.
"Can I take some to go?"
"Hahah..sure thing. I need to check if we have some left. If not, we'll make some for you."
"I'm just being silly." He said. "It is quite all right. I think I ate a kilo of it already."
"Oh, I doubt I made that much." I said.
"This is really nice, Sabrina." Nigel said as he looked at me with a friendly look in his eyes. I cracked a smile...Then he added.."Thank you for inviting me to lunch."
"The pleasure is all mine." I said. "When could I say I had the mighty Nigel Gallagher in my test shoot?"
"Oh, you can have me anytime if you're serving food like these." He said. "You're a terrific company on top of it too." He said.
"Oh, good." I said and laughed. "I invited my staff to join us too, but they seemed to be quite intimidated." I was totally lying about it. I just wanted this to be just the two of us. In fact, I banned them to be in the room.
"Oh, it's fine." Nigel said. "This is great." He said. "I'm not sure if I was up to talk to the whole staff. This is a treat." He said. Oh, good deal then. Perfect that he felt the same way about lunch being just the two of us. Then he said, "I mean, I wouldn't mind if they joined us, but frankly, I am glad you and I got to converse."
"So do I." I said. He smiled. "Frankly, I always enjoy talking to you. We don't have much opportunities to chat however."
"No.. no, we don't." I said. "Wow. I'm flattered that you actually enjoy talking to me, this lowly food editor."
"Don't be silly. You're easy to talk to. At times, I get so tired that all the staff act so stuffy around me. Like you said earlier, intimidated."
"But of course, you're their big boss, my big boss." He shrugged his shoulders.
"Understood. However, I'm just human." He said. "I still want to belch like anyone else after a good meal." I laughed. He laughed too. "Not that I would." He said. "Not in front of a lady anyway."
"Hahaha....have more bubbly." I said and poured him some more of the Prosecco.
Nigel raised his glass to me. "Cheers, Sabby."
"Cheers." I said.

We talked and talked about so many different things. I didn't feel pressured to talk just strictly about business. We branched out and just talking about life in general. We talked shop for awhile, but the rest was quite personal. He asked about my family and how I got interested in food. He asked me a lot about who I am. It was so refreshing. Time must have flown by as when I looked at the clock it was almost three in the afternoon.

"Gosh..I can't believe it's three!" I said. Nigel looked at his very expensive Girard Perregaux watch.
"Have we been talking for hours?"
"Yes.." I laughed. "Time flew by. I hope you didn't think this is all I do daily..just eat and talk for hours on company's dime."
"Mh, you could have fooled me." Nigel said.
"Nigel!" I said and laughed and gosh...I tapped him on the hand and he held my hand and laughed.
I felt a surge of warmth filling my entire body. It felt like July instead of February. I softly took my hand away afraid that I would do something crazy. I was also afraid if anyone would see it. Nigel also let it go and went along with me. We both smiled at each other awkwardly.

"My wife never likes food." Nigel said. "I found it crazy for a person to  not like food." Nigel added. "I mean, we have to eat to live, might as well enjoy it."
It was the first time he brought up his wife in our conversation. There it went my happiness. Out the window. I couldn't help but to feel jealous and I was green with envy. However, I tried my best to hide my true feeling.
"How come? What do you mean she does not like food?"
"She just never really enjoys dining out and eating in general." Nigel said. "Meanwhile, I'm obsessed with food."
"She sounds like Victoria, about the whole not eating part." Nigel nodded.
"Victoria does remind me of Marcy."
"So, she must be beautiful." I said, jealous. I was so jealous.
"Yes, of course. She's beautiful." Nigel said. "What's left of her anyway." Nigel said.
"I'm sorry, Nigel. How is she doing? Forgive me for not asking earlier."
"Oh, it's quite alright." Nigel said. "Her condition does not really improve from day to day. She's under 24 hour care. Her life right now is about sleeping and dialysis. She's quite sick."
"Sorry to hear."
"I blame it on all the crash diets she used to do when she was younger. Royally ruined her kidneys. For someone who doesn't really eat, it's unbelievable to me that she's so obsessed with her weight."
"Oh." I said.
"She had eating disorders for years. Diet pill this, that fad diet..." Nigel said. "The pressure of being young and beautiful took its toll. While really, she's always fine and beautiful to me." Nigel said.
"I didn't realize that." I said. "You didn't mention how she got sick when we talked in Napa." I said.
"I don't like talking in a negative tone about Marcy. But, I feel like I can talk honest with you.  It does weigh me down. I can't lie to you. This whole thing with Marcy." He sighed. " I wish she would have eaten like normal people. She wouldn't be in this predicament for the rest of her life."
"I told Victoria that all the time. She hardly eats." I said. "She eats to live, and I live to eat." I laughed. "I'm the chubby friend every beautiful girl has."
"Sabrina...you are far from chubby." Nigel said. "If you think you are chubby then you have a very terrible body image of yourself."
"I'm not slender like Victoria."
"Um, I think you're dead wrong on that. You're not a skinny girl, but I found you slender and I think you're just perfect."
I frowned. "Perfect?"
"Yes." Nigel said. "Take that as a compliment. Most men don't find skinny women attractive. On the contrary." I laughed. Nigel laughed.
"I hope I don't offend you." Nigel laughed. "I feel I am being inappropriate. I will lose my job over this I have a feeling."
"hahaha." I laughed. "How could you lose your job when you own the firm?"
"Easily." He said. "Maybe it's the Prosecco talking." He said. "We shouldn't have been drinking on the job."
"We shouldn't have talked for hours and take a four hour lunch either."
We just burst into laughs.

 All of a sudden, the door flew open. Here came Victoria and Eric Phillips.

"Hey...you guys are still eating?" Vic asked confused. "It's past three!"
"We were having a very important meeting." Nigel said and laughed.
"Sure you are." Vic said. "If I didn't know you any better, I would have believed you, Nigel." Vic said very flirty as she bent over to kiss Nigel on the cheek. Nigel looked straight at me and just nodded as he smiled quaintly. I couldn't believe Vic. What was she trying to pull?
Nigel stood and offered his hand to Eric. "Eric.." He said.
"Nigel..how are you, sir?"
"Just great." Nigel said. "Sabrina made a really delicious lunch. I'm really stuffed." He said. I smiled.
"Oh, Eric..I forgot I need to see you today." I said.
"He was looking for you." Vic said. "That's why I brought him here because we couldn't find you anywhere else." Vic said.
"It was my fault." Nigel said. "I kept her for way too long."
"I'm jealous, Nigel." Vic said as again she smiled in her very flirty way. However, the weird part was Nigel didn't really pay attention at all to Victoria's antics. I knew she didn't mean anything. She just couldn't help herself. It also made me feel great as even though the beautiful Victoria Perkins was there trying to steal some of Nigel's attention, he was still fixated at me. That, made me feel like a million dollar.
"So sorry, Eric." I said. "Please forgive me." I said.
"Oh, I think Nigel trumps me any day." He said and laughed.
"Well, I better leave." Nigel said. He came to me and said.."Sabrina, thank you again for a terrific lunch." He said and he kissed my cheek.
"Anytime." I said and smiled. "Eric, Victoria..." He said and nodded to them. Then he waved at us as he walked away.  He snagged his suit coat and walked towards the door. I watched him leaving Studio D. As he walked out of the door, he turned to see me and smiled. Vic caught that and gave me a look.

"We'll talk later." Vic said. She didn't smile and all of a sudden she just had no expression whatsoever in her face.

She left me and Eric alone. I looked at Eric and though I was dizzy from smelling Nigel's cologne not a second ago, I caught the beautiful eyes of Eric Phillips gazing at me. I was like holy cow...what is going on? One hot guy after another? It must have been my lucky day. I wasn't ready for Eric and whatever so important he needed to talk to me about. I haven't even digested what happened with Nigel. What happened was a great long  lunch with a man I surely do care about. Spending this afternoon with him, I realized that I didn't only find him attractive, I also care a lot about him. I wasn't sure why but all I wanted was to be nice to him. It really touched me that he opened up to me and told me the truth about what he  thought of me. He could have masked everything for the sake of being professional. He was so vulnerable and he just told the truth despite the risk.

I couldn't help but feeling elated that Nigel thought I was easy to talk to. I couldn't help but feeling ecstatic that he thought I was perfect. Nigel Gallagher thought I was perfect. At that point on, I felt front and center. If I were the compass, I was the round thing in the middle, the bubble of gas where the star bursts from. I was nowhere South.