Welcome and Experience South of the Middle Love Story

South of the Middle Love Story is an online novel. However, you get to follow the journey of the author writing the novel as she goes along. Start reading from Chapter 1 and move on to the next chapter as you would read a novel in a book form. Progressing chapter/s will be published as soon as the author is done writing it. So stay tuned and happy reading!

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Chapter 15

Looking at little Laurel opening her gifts was so much fun. At one point, she opened one of the cards she received and she acted like she was reading it. She recited a whole line of birthday wish to Princess Laurel, and many of us looked at her in awe thinking she was able to read that well at four years old.

"Nooo....she's just pretending." Emma said and burst out laughing.
"I was just gonna say!" Vic said as she was holding her chest. "That was impressive!"
"She's a good little actress."
"Oh, little girl.." Xandra said. "She belongs in a movie."
"Oh..I've been wanting to sign her up for commercials. Her dad absolutely will not have it."
"Daddy's little girl." I said and smiled.
"Little princess." Vic said... "She's pretty comfortable in that role."
"Learning from aunty Victoria." Xandra said.
"Hey!" Vic said. "More from her mom.."
"Let her be.." I said. "She's only four." I said and smiled. "Just don't let it go out of hands. Don't be like the Perkins." I said.
"Ah! You too??" Vic said and smacked my arm.
"Oh stop it. You might have been from a small town, but you evolved into a princess nonetheless."
"I'm so not a princess." Vic said. "I'm independent. I do everything myself. How could I be a princess?"
"Shhhh...." Emma said. "It is not about you for once. Bloody hell..what is that? Does that say chuup a chuup?" Emma tried to read from afar. We were looking at Laurel uncovering a doll which we believe, suckles..
"Oh Jeez.." Vic said. "Am I seeing this right?"
"It's a suckling doll..." I said confused.
"You're never too young?" Xandra read the box in disbelief.
"Oh Blimey!" Emma said. "Who hates us?"

Emma left quickly to go closer to Laurel and to get a better look at the gift in her hand. We laughed out loud and couldn't believe that someone actually gifted a breastfeeding baby doll to a four year old. People never cease to amaze me. We had a good laugh throughout the whole thing.

Evan, Laurel's older brother, was hanging out with Uncle Nigel and Uncle Jordan. He looked cozy sitting on Nigel's lap, almost cuddling him. I looked at them from afar and I couldn't help but smile. I knew Nigel never had children on his own, but he looked like he would have been a great father. I felt a little sad for him as he did have the utmost love for his wife, Marcy. Apparently she preferred to keep her figure instead of bearing children for Nigel. Well, that was my assumption anyway since Nigel had mentioned Marcy was so consumed with dieting to a point that she damaged her kidneys. Plus, they didn't have kids. I guess I should not have made an assumption. I just felt bad watching that sweet kind man never had a chance to be a dad. He could have been a great father to some very fortunate children.

Nigel gave Evan to Jordan. He made a little gesture towards me. He got up and went to the kitchen. I got up about to follow his foot steps when Vic stopped me. She quickly said to my ear.."Don't do anything stupid.."
I looked at her and smiled. "Mind your own business." I said. She rolled her eyes..."Don't tell me I didn't warn you."
I shot a glare at her..."What am I gonna do? Here? Seriously? What, you think I'm going to bang his brains out in Emma's kitchen. On the counter." I said.
Vic looked the other way and shook her head back and forth.
"Relax, Victoria." I said.
"Okaaay." She said.

Nigel was pouring a glass of wine for himself when I entered the kitchen. He looked up to see me and smiled.

"May I pour you a glass?" He asked.
"I take the champagne." I said.
"Yes, mam." He said then handed me the flute.
"What kind is it again?" I asked.. "Oh..Moet." I said. I read the bottle as he poured it.
"Yes, they're going with cheap champagne." Nigel said.
"I actually like Moet a lot." I said. Nigel was a little surprised hearing what I said. "What can I say. I'm a cheap date." I said.
"Apparently." Nigel said.
"Nigel, you're such a snob!" I tried to say it in an English accent. He smiled. "You can't possibly think they'll pop open a Cristal for a four year old birthday party."
"I didn't expect a Cristal." Nigel said. "I was just stating the fact about the Moet."
"Oh, it could be worse. It could be Korbel."
"Korbel?" He asked.
"Never mind, sweetie pie." I said and laughed. "Cheers!" I said.
He clinked his glass on mine and we took a sip. "How's your wine? What is it?"
"Cabernet Franc..very good." He said as he showed me the bottle. "Dalla Valle 2002."
"My.." I said as I studied the bottle. "This one can't be cheap." I said.
"I do not think so." Nigel said. "I must say I quite enjoy it." He let me smell it.
"Mh.." I said. "Good aroma. A little herbal."
"The tannins is very mild." Nigel said. He swirled his glass.
He smiled to me. "I never had more fun drinking wine than that night at that Terlato Winery."
"Chimney Rock." I said and smiled.
He smiled too. "Yes." He said. "My favorite wine."
"Is it really?" I asked.
"It is now."
I let out a laugh. He also laughed with me. His eyes sparkled looking at me.
"Come with me tonight." He said.
"Come with you where?"
"Somewhere.." He said. "Where we can talk without having to worry of what people might think."
"Oh..Nigel.." I said. "You're brave." He nodded.
"I'm trying to." He said. "I promise I will be a perfect gentleman." He said. "Just want to spend time with you. That's all. Don't say no, Sabby."
"I hardly know you, Mister." I said and smiled.
"What do you mean?" He cracked a smile.
"You're practically a stranger."
"Oh, Sabrina..I'm not a stranger. I know how much you make." I laughed.
"Oh Jeez." I said. "That is not fair you knew how much I make."
"How come? You work for me, are you not?"
"You know too much about me. I don't know as much about you."
"You want to know how much I make?"
"No, I just don't know much about you."
"Let's see..I was born in Reading, England. I lived there till I was twelve and then my father moved us to America. We lived in Connecticut, Boston, then New York City. I had two younger sisters. One in New York, and one in South Carolina. My favorite drink is Chimney Rock wine.."
I laughed when he said that.. He gave me a little wink and then he continued.. "Derek Stearns is my best friend growing up and still is. We went to Harvard together some years ago. I enjoy good food, good sport, and good conversation. I'm a Scorpio. There are three things I despise: yellow mustard, yellow mustard, and liars. There are three things I like: Joie Magazine, Norway, and you."
I was so taken by what he said that tears pooled in my eyes. Nigel looked at me..and he had a slight smile on his face.
"Sabrina?" He asked.
"Nigel.." I said. I looked down and wiped my eyes. "I don't know what to say."
"Now you know everything about me." He said. "I'm not a stranger anymore."
I looked up and I stood up and I went towards him. He welcomed me, and I ran to his embrace. We hugged for the longest time. I savored the warmth that came from his body. He smelled so masculine and it was the most pleasing scent I have ever smelled on a man. I heard foot steps approaching and I quickly tore away my body from his. The kitchen door flung opened, and here came Emma. She came in just in time to witness me fleeing from Nigel.

She stopped her step and stood there for a quick second, awkwardly. Then she said..
"There you are...drinking champagne again?" She said. "I need you."
"Oh.. sorry." I said. "I just wanted another glass." I said.
"Please excuse us for a minute, Nigel." Emma said.
"Of course." Nigel said. "Don't mind me." He said.
I smiled to him and followed Emma.

Emma dragged my hand out of the kitchen. She shot me a mean look and said.."What is going on with you and Nigel Gallagher??"
"What?" I said. "Nothing."
"Oh, missy...don't make me waterboard you." She said.
"Umpf!"I started laughing.
"You just wait." She said. "We need to talk."
"We certainly do not." I said.
"You have no choice." She said. "Now help me distribute the favor bags."

I kept quiet and followed her order. Victoria who was talking to one of John's doctor buddy also was watching me and Emma. She shook her head back and forth. That was her way of showing me that she got me pegged. I rolled my eyes at her and gestured to her to carry on with the doctor.

Emma has prepared a very cute pink basket filled with goodies. She had put homemade cookies she made and decorated herself, truffles from Le Chocolat in Naperville, pink and white M & M with Laurel's initials printed on it, passion fruit cupcake with pink frosting, and a white puppy stuffed animal with pink ribbon around its neck. The basket was super pretty. Emma again did a marvelous job with it.

As we let go parents and kids to go home, Bobbie arrived. Emma and Laurel waved good byes to all the party goers, and then Bobbie slipped in and closed the door behind her.

"The coast is clear!" she said. "Came at the right time."
"You sure did." Emma said. "Now..." She said as she looked at me straight in the eye. Then she looked around to see if the men were around. She then told Laurel to go to her dad.
"Get in here, all of you." She said pointing to John's study.
"What's going on?" Bobbie said. "Can we go to the kitchen? I'm hungry."
"Here..have a scone." Emma said. I sighed knowing what's coming.
"What's going on really?" Xandra said.
"I want to know myself too." Emma said. "Let's ask Miss Sabrina here." Victoria laughed a little.
"Leave her alone." Vic said to Emma.
Emma put her hands on her waist and turned around to Victoria.
"What? You knew?"
"I knew nothing." Victoria said.
"What?"Xandra said.
"Is this an inquisition?" I asked.
"Sabrina... I caught you twice today with Nigel Gallagher."
"Oh." Xandra said.
"Ah." Bobbie said.
Emma turned to them now, with the same posture of hands on the waist. "What?! You two also knew?"
"Emma... there's nothing going on." I said. "Okay, I like him. I have a crush on him." I said. "I didn't want to tell you because I know you wouldn't approve."
"Of course I wouldn't approve. He's a married man!"
"I know. Thus why, there's nothing going on. I can't help that I like him. But I can help not acting out what I feel."
"That is bollock. I saw you two." Emma said. "You couldn't say he didn't know. You couldn't say he didn't feel the same way."
"Yeah....I notice too." Victoria. "This is not the same situation as we knew it. You and Nigel.." Victoria muttered.. "things have changed between you two."
I sat down and massaged my temple. I had such a headache listening to the inquiries.
"No, Vic. Nothing's changed." I said.
"Sabrina..humor me. I saw you peeled yourself off of him in the kitchen. Earlier today you were holding hands in Laurel's room."
"Yes..but that's it. That's the extent. We're not involved. We're not having a sexual relationship. God knows I want to. But we're not. We're not. We're not." I said.
"Oh Sab...he's the wrong man to fall in love with." Emma said. "His wife is so sick."
"I know." I said. "I'm not falling in love with him."
Bobbie looked at me. She tilted her pretty head to see my somber face, and she said.. "It's okay, my friend. You can't help who you fall in love with."
"Em, leave her alone." Xandra said. "Sabrina knows what's the right thing to do. Let her be."
"Trust me, Em." I said. "If I'm not struggling with this whole thing, I've been a happier person." I said.
"I just can't believe it. You and Nigel." Emma said. "I didn't see it coming."
"Oh so.. you always disagree with any man I chose to date. At least I'm keeping with the trends." I said.
"That is not funny, and you should have told me."
"Oh, so you could react like this?"
"I'm only reacting like this because of the fashion of how I found out."
"Em, sorry. It wasn't my intention. I didn't know things would develop in the last day or so. Leave Nigel alone too. He really didn't do anything wrong. He held my hand and he hugged me. That's it. It was because I had a tough couple of days. It wasn't romantic."
"Sab, I knew Nigel a long time. I haven't seen him looking at another girl that wasn't his wife the way he did today. He's been through a lot himself. I don't want him hurt either." Emma said "He's good friend of our family for a very long time."
"You're talking to Sabrina, Em." Bobbie said. "Not Victoria."
Vic laughed. "I deserve that."
Bobbie chuckled. "At least she accepts the fact."
"No argument there." Victoria laughed.
"Nigel and I are both adult." I said. "We'll sort through it." I said and nodded to Emma. "Okay, Em?"
"Oh..this drives me crazy." Emma said.
"It's not like their marriage is perfect." Xandra said. "To Nigel's defense, he needs companionship. Put yourself in his shoes."
"For better or for worse."Emma glared at Xandra.
"Oh..you're so self righteous sometimes." Xandra said.
"Hey, I might be the only married woman here. But I meant my vow. It's not to be taken lightly. For better or for worse."
"Well, it seems his worse has been going on for a lot of years." Victoria said. "Hey, don't get me wrong..I don't condone it. But they haven't done anything wrong. It's not a crime that they found each other attractive. Nigel is a handsome man. You can't blame Sabrina to have good taste."
"Will you tell us if you slept with him?" Emma asked me.
"Absolutely not." I said.
"See...we will never know."
"Cuz it's none of your business." I said. "But I won't do it. I'm not a slut who sleeps with married man. It's already bad as it is having feeling for the guy that suits me in many ways, and to know that I can't have him." I said.
"Oh.. Sab." Emma said. She hugged me.
"You guys hug it out." Victoria said. "I'm out of here. I'm going to take Dr. Ross home with me tonight."
"Oh... caught a fish, huh?" Bobbie asked.
"Oh yeah. A big one." Xandra said.
"Whale?"
"More like a Dover Sole." Victoria said. "Sweet and loaded." We all laughed hearing her.
"Doctor Scholl is more like it." Xandra said and laughed. 
"He's a player, Vic." Emma said.
"Oh Goodie.. Maybe we can play find the monkey under the blanket together."
"Beat the monkey is more like it." Bobbie said.
"Oh stop it! stop it!" Emma said.
We just laughed. Victoria smiled and left the room. They all left the room following Victoria. I stayed behind. I just sat there and mused. I didn't expect to get interrogated and scolded by Emma tonight. I knew she would react that way. Thus why I have kept it from her. I didn't blame her to be the goodie two shoes Anglo Saxon Protestant woman. Yet, I have not done anything bad considering the choices that I could have made along the way.

I felt like crap. I wanted to go and talk with Nigel tonight but all I wanted to do was to go home and curl in bed. After musing for awhile, I grabbed my phone, and I texted him.

"I want to go with you. I really do. However, I just got interrogated. We better not, Nigel. We shouldn't."

Not long, I got a reply.

"What happened?"

I sighed reading it. I replied quickly. "Emma."

He replied back instantaneously. "Ok. I understand. I'm leaving for NYC tomorrow."

My tears fell knowing he'd be gone and I wouldn't see his face again for a little while. I wanted to go with him so bad. We had so much to talk about but yet, every body made it seem so wrong for us to even just have a conversation. I wanted to tell him so much how much I wanted to be with him tonight. Yet again, what I sent to him was..

"Have a safe trip."

I sat there awhile longer, and when I finally came out of the room, Emma's place was rather quiet. I looked around, and people were leaving or just left. Victoria left with Dr. Ross. John was putting Evan and Laurel to bed. Jordan was gone too. I looked around for Nigel but I couldn't find him. I kept on scanning the room, but he's nowhere in sight. It dawned on me that he left. He left without saying good bye to me. He left.

I was so upset realizing that I missed the chance to say good bye and to see his face one last time before he leaves town.

Xandra and Bobbie were chatting away eating. I just couldn't be there anymore. I said good bye to the girls and I split. I sat in my car for the longest time. I started crying. My God... every time. I just didn't really know why every day ended up this way. It just went down, down, down.

True South. That's when you hit the ground.