Welcome and Experience South of the Middle Love Story

South of the Middle Love Story is an online novel. However, you get to follow the journey of the author writing the novel as she goes along. Start reading from Chapter 1 and move on to the next chapter as you would read a novel in a book form. Progressing chapter/s will be published as soon as the author is done writing it. So stay tuned and happy reading!

Monday, February 27, 2012

Chapter 7

Okay. The clock struck 6. It was dark as dark could be outside. It was the glory of winter when 6 PM felt like midnight. The working day was already over. I stood by my office window, watching the commotion outside. There was life out there - people walking, running, talking. There were cars honking, cabs trying to catch fares, and bicycles swirling. Yet, inside me, I felt like life has departed. The cool air from the dead winter of Chicago sent chills to my very bones. The simple air I breathed out left condensation on the glass window. All looked a little blurry now as I kept on staring blank to the world out there.

He didn't come today. Nigel didn't grace my day with his presence.

I woke up  this morning super early - not because the usual obnoxious ring tone of my phone alarm that would ring as sure as day every day; but, it was because I felt this numbing pain on my kinked neck. I found myself laying face down on the couch. I had my glasses crooked on my face to one side, my arms flailing all over, one leg on the couch and one on the floor. It was a pretty sight. I didn't even wash my face last night. Great, here come the zits. I would surely break out. Though my skin has never been the super sensitive type; yet, if I failed to wash my face, little zits would form happily without request. I hate those little zits. I would always pop them as soon as I could pop them. My mom used to always yell at me saying that I would make it worse by popping it. Uh, ma...I couldn't stand looking at those zits unpopped. So sorry for never listening to you on that matter, ma. Only for the zits business though! I usually always try to listen to what my mama has to say because she never stirs me wrong.

I couldn't believe that I fell asleep on the couch last night. I must have been so tired from all the "research" I had done last night.  Sigh. What a waste of time.

When I looked at myself in the mirror, I realized I had the computer keys impressions on my cheek. I swear I got squares resembling part of the keyboard on my right cheek. Great! The morning has started on the left foot for sure. I remedied it with brewing some coffee. It was actually early enough and I had enough time to make coffee at home for myself. I decided to brew the rest of what was left in the Havana coffee bag that Roberta gave me two months ago. She went to New Zealand over the holidays for a photography trip with Xandra. Roberta brought me two bags of super delicious coffee beans. Xandra brought me two bracelets. We always bring things back for one another in pairs. I usually always get coffee and bracelets as those are what I love. It was very rarely in the past that my friends would bring me things other than coffee and bracelets.  They knew better anyway and it made things simple for all of us for knowing the fail safe of what to bring back from vacation.

When I was sipping that thick coffee, it just felt heavenly. I felt sparkles of energy spewing inside me. I was ready to tackle the world. Those sparkles are usually called caffeine by the way. I was singing the song "Honey Honey" from Mama Mia as I danced around my apartment like an idiot. It was the upside of living alone. I could act like a complete lunatic and nobody would protest.

"Honey honey..how he thrills me..uh huh..Honey...Honey... ah ah ah huuuuuu..."

I jumped in the shower. I washed my hair and shaved my legs, soaped my entire body and did a quick sugar scrubs.

"Honey honey..nearly kills me..uh huh..Honey..honey."

I dried my short hair, put some mousse, and did my best to style it. I put make up on - foundation and all, lipstick, mascara, and the whole shebang.

"I heard about him before...I wanted to know some more.."

I looked through my closet and tried five different outfits before I settled on a pencil skirt and a thin satin black top with a little plunging neckline. I grabbed a red cashmere sweater that Xandra gave me for Christmas - just in case.

"And now I know what they mean, he's a love machine..Oh, he makes me dizzy!!!"

I put on my modest yet sexy Stuart Weitzman pump that Vic pressured me into buying. I still remember her nonchalant yet manipulative rant on the shoes.

"Come on, Sabby. It's on sale. 40 percent off. It's only 200 dollars now. What..it's practically Payless Shoes price. Do we have to wait for BOGO?"

I was actually shocked she knew what BOGO was. However, listening to my friend belittling me about waiting for Stuart Weitzman going Buy One Get One Free was even embarrassing for me. Yet, I do believe things happened for a reason and thank God I bought these nice platform pumps because boy I needed them this morning. Vic would be proud of me cuz I looked hot. I mean, real HOT. I looked at myself in the mirror and I actually felt fantastic to look at my reflection. I just couldn't wait till Nigel would lay his eyes on me. It would be different than yesterday. He would derive a conclusion that I could rough it and I could primp it, and I primped it good.

"Honey honey...let me feel it..uh huh...honey..honey..."

I was ready for the world. I was ready to see my love machine.

I didn't know what's got into me because I sure was depressed last night. Not sure whether it was the caffeine or whether it was the anticipation of seeing Nigel's face today that just put me in a great mood. I just couldn't wait to see his face and for a change, I wouldn't look like shit. I just couldn't wait for the great day to start.

My heart was beating so loud all the way to the office. I decided to drive today and not braving the bus and the walk on these heels. Besides, I was just a ball of nerve ready to burst any time. It was insane the amount of those butterflies flying around in my stomach. It tickled at times. At other times, I really thought I had bees in there.

Funny, time passed and I didn't even see Vic. Would you think by 10 AM someone would have complemented me on the way I looked? Surely Amy and Beverly would have their jaws on the floor looking at me in heels and dressing ultra suave professional like today. I mean this would be the day that compliments were in order. But nooooooo... what was I thinking? Bev looked at me and gave me a good morning. I was like...what the hell, Bev? She must have been blind. I was actually pissed off beyond pissed.

Vic wasn't even around. Her assistant, Gretchen, told me that she was out of the office today on a shoot.

By noon, my heart sank. There was no sign of Nigel. There was absolutely no sign. Frances was getting suspicious of me. She had no idea about Nigel and me. I didn't really want to tell her since I was afraid people would find out. It would be so embarrassing if people knew that I have this massive crush on the Managing Partner. Not that Frances would tell; yet, I thought the less people knew, the better. It was so hard for me to keep anything from Frances. She would figure it out eventually but I thought I would let her figure it out on her own if she must find out.

Jenna came to my office with an open faced sandwich that looked like an egg salad.

"Egg salad?" I asked. "Really?" I said sarcastically.
"Would I bring you just a regular egg salad?" She asked. Then she stopped her step and said.."My! Don't you look great!" She said and smiled. My lips cracked a genuine smile.
"Why, thanks Jenn." I said. "You're the first one that noticed."
"Are you going out later or something? You're really dressing up!"
"No." I said. "I just felt tired dressing like a bum." I said and smiled.
"Mh...Gribiche." I said after tasting one of the toast points that Jenna presented in front of me.
"Yep. I'm thinking ahead for Easter. What to do with all those Easter eggs."
"Mh...tasty." I said.
"You like it?" Jenna smiled.
"Yeah." I said.
"Well, then...finish it!"
"Uh..later maybe. I just don't have any appetite." I said.
"What's going on, chef?" She asked me. I laughed.
"Felt funny you're calling me chef and I looked like I'm so not worthy of that title right now." I said and mused.
"In  your high heels and all..which by the way, super cute!! Nice shoes." Jenna popped her eyes. "Are they yours, or are they Victoria's?? Did you borrow it?
"Hey, watch it." I said. "I don't own just clogs you know." I said."Besides, Victoria is a giant. She wear size 10!" I said. Jenna just laughed and kept on bombarding me with rants.

I finished one toast point to shut Jenna up and to send her on her way. I didn't feel like explaining myself and coming up with false excuses why I felt the way I felt.

I stayed in my office all day and for the most part I stared blank at the screen, thinking about Nigel. I really wanted to ask Beverly where he was but I thought the queen of gossips would find new materials if I pricked open the can even just a little. I couldn't take chances. Though it bothered me so much that I didn't know where Nigel was, there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. By 4 PM, I was busy in my own world in making food speak in its true form on Joie pages. By the time I checked the time again, it was already 6 PM.

There was no sign of Nigel.

Now it brought me back to here - where I still stood by the window watching life passed me by. All the excitement I felt this morning has vanished into nothingness. I couldn't believe Nigel didn't show up today. Wow, it was my luck or what? He wasn't here at all. I made a fool of myself dressing up like I was the hottest thing since sliced bread for absolutely nothing.

I exhaled. I ran my hand over the condensation on the glass window. My heart was still heavy with disappointment. But what else could I do? When I knew that my heart was ready for a settlement and to accept the fact that I wouldn't be seeing him today, I felt somewhat better.

But it was 6:00 PM. Nigel didn't come. Our compass definitely did not line up today. Not sure where the direction he was at. I knew where mine was. It was true South. I was feeling like some good old Southern food to eat the pain away. Some chickory coffee and beignets would do me a  lot of good right about now. But, no such luck.