Welcome and Experience South of the Middle Love Story

South of the Middle Love Story is an online novel. However, you get to follow the journey of the author writing the novel as she goes along. Start reading from Chapter 1 and move on to the next chapter as you would read a novel in a book form. Progressing chapter/s will be published as soon as the author is done writing it. So stay tuned and happy reading!

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Chapter 8

Daydreams are a writer's best friend. So many ideas and random thoughts shuffle through your brain as you daydream. That is when you let your mind go in auto pilot. You will be surprised what you might think of. I'm a dreamer. Always have, and always will. I dream in my sleep vividly, and I daydream constantly. I wouldn't be able to come up with things to write about if I have never let my mind wander aimlessly. I often think that the bridge of my nose is a path to my brain going towards the endless world of imagination. It is literally a bridge to nowhere.

So many things swirling through my head. I was still motionless in front of my office window. I was so enthralled in my thoughts that I didn't feel the throbbing pain on both of my feet. The shoes weren't exactly comfortable. Not to me. I really couldn't figure out how Vic and Xandra could run around and be on heels all day. For the life of me, wearing heels today was pure torture. Yet, it wasn't the most torturous thing I felt all day. Waiting was even worse than wearing heels all day. Wait, there's something even worse than waiting. Having waited for hours and what you were waiting for never come...was definitely and indisputably the worst thing that could happen to me today. Oy vey!

Talking about Oy vey - there's a brand of Kosher meat marinades called "Soy Vey." How clever! They are pretty good as well. I tried their Teriyaki marinade before and it was pretty tasty. Yeah, I went on a little tangent there. I have warned you however that this brain of mine often wanders tirelessly. It went from the actual pain I felt in my chest, to my throbbing feet, to the pain of waiting, to screaming oy vey that means "oh pain" in Yiddish, to a Kosher Teriyaki soy seasoning blend. I am brilliant.

I had to cancel late night coffee with Bobbie tonight. I didn't feel like coffee at midnight as usual. I did not want to prolong the day whatsoever. Good thing she didn't care and said it would be really late if she could come over anyway. 

Back to my daydreams, I literally could waste hours sitting still and just spending the time thinking, musing, daydreaming, ruminating, cogitating, pondering...  I could go on and on.

Saved by the bell! My iphone started ringing and it woke me up from my daydream. I grabbed it and it was Vic wanting to facetime. When the connection was established, I saw two familiar smiling faces.

"Hiiiiiiiiii" Xandra said.
"Hi." I said short with a long face.
"Oh." Vic said in shocked. "What was that?!" She said.
"I think she just said 'hi.'" Xandra said as she imitated me, complete with a pouty face.
"Don't make fun of me, Xandra." I said. "I'm having a bad day."
"What's wrong, sweetie?" Xandra said.
"Yeah..seriously." Vic said. "What the hell is wrong, Sab? You didn't do anything stupid, did you?" Vic asked.
"Why you said that?" I asked.
"Uhhh...I just had a bad feeling. I mean look at you. You dressed up! But,  I knew you didn't dress up for nothing."
"Yeah, I was just gonna say, Sabby." Xandra added. "You definitely dressed to impress today! I haven't seen you in this much make up, forever! I mean, sweetheart - you're done up!" Xandra said.
"Yeah..yeah." I said. I lifted my feet to the phone so they could see my shoes
"Look." I said.
"Ah hahahaha..." they both laughed. "I remember those!" Vic said about my shoes.
"You better remember it." I said.
"Of course!" Vic said. "I love those!"
"These are weapon of mass destruction." I said. "My feet are killing me."
"Oh jeez. If only they had my size. I just couldn't let you pass it up." Vic said. "Such a great deal and they looked phenomenal on you!"
"They did look great on me, Vic. I give you that." I said.
"I like shoes as much as the next girl, but I could give a rat's ass about that right now. What is wrong, Sab? Seriously?"
"Uh...nothing is wrong. I was just bummed."
"Sab look at me." Vic said. So I looked at her. I tilted my head and looked at her, uninterested.
"Please tell me you didn't do anything stupid with Nigel. Please..please..say it ain't so."
 I let them be in suspense for a little bit. Vic was twitching. Xandra was puzzled. I felt sorry for them so then I finally said..
 "No...of course not. He wasn't even here."
"Ohh?" Vic said surprised.
"Yes, Vic. I actually put some effort into looking decent and the bastard didn't even show."
I thought they would laugh at me. Yet, they didn't. I was so surprised that they actually were being good friends and not pour salt on my open wound.
"Oh, Sabby." Vic said. "Don't be sad." She said.
"I'm not sad." I said pouting.
"Yes, you are." Vic said.
"You're disappointed." Xandra said.
"Yes, thank you, Xandra. I am."
"Sweetie, you look great today. You should look great like that every day. You should look great for yourself, and not for Nigel. Not for any guy." Vic said.
I exhaled loud. "Uuuuuhhh...Vic." I said.
"I know..I know. You don't want to hear it."Vic said.
"You got that right. I don't." I said. "I can't believe he wasn't in the office at all today. I could swear I thought he said he would be in."
"Sab, come on. We talked about this. If you really didn't have any intention of making things happen with Nigel, why are you doing this? Come on." Vic said. "What are you doing?? Sabby..he's married. Don't go there."
"I..." I said. "I'm not trying to do anything than to just look pretty." I said and slouched. "That's all." I said. "I just wanted to look pretty in front of him."
"It's not all." Vic said. "That is not all."
I started shaking my head frustrated.
"Hey... come out with us." Xandra said. "Come on, let's eat."
"I can't hear any more judgmental nag from Vic tonight." I said. "I can't...I can't."
"Judgmental??" Vic said. "Sabby, get off your high heels already." Vic said. "You knew what you're doing and you created this shit for yourself."
I started laughing. It was funny when she told me to get off my high heels. All of a sudden we were all laughing.
"Oh..you guys." I said as I laughed. "I knew I could always laugh with you. Though I really feel like throwing these shoes to Vic right now."
"hahaha....you love me, and you know it. You just hate knowing that I'm right."
"Yeah...yeah..yeah." I said and rolled my eyes. "I didn't know you are together today." I said.
"Yeah, we just finished one part today. More tomorrow." Xandra said.
"Where were you guys?"
"Milwaukee. At the Art Museum there." Xandra said.
"More in Milwaukee tomorrow?"
"Hell no." Vic said. "I would have stayed overnight if it was the case. We're almost back in the city already. Going to get dinner. Thus why we called you to see if you want to join us."
"Where? Can we go to Table Fifty-Two?"
"Oh, listen to her. We invited her but she's telling us where to go." Vic said.
"But she is the Food Guru. Besides, she's having a bad day." Xandra said. "Table Fifty-Two sounds great. I'm getting me some fried chicken and mac and cheese."
"Good lord." Vic said.
"You can get some acidic collard green, Vic." I said. "Perfect for your tongue."
"Bite me." Vic said and laughed.
"Come on, Victoria...please?! I'm having a bad day and I just really want some Southern comfort food. I want some fried cat fish and shrimp and grits, perhaps beignets, or pecan pie."
"Ohhh, pecan pie." Vic said and smiled big. I laughed.
"I knew that would do the trick." Vic nodded.

Getting dinner plan underway helped to cheer up my mood a bit. When all has failed, I can always count on food to save the day. I freshened up a bit before bolting out the door. As I was hurrying to leave the office, I ran right smacked onto someone. I didn't see anyone behind me as I closed my office door. I actually screamed a little because I was surprised.

"Ahhhh!!!" I said.
"Oh.." The guy said. "I'm sorry..I'm sorry." He said as he caught my hands. "I didn't mean to startle you."
"Oh, Eric!" I said relieved as I was still massaging my chest from being startled.
Eric Phillips, our Chief Financial Officer, whom I usually don't see very often around the office, was all of a sudden standing in front of me. He cracked a smile and said..
"Are you okay, Sabrina?"
"Hahaha..you came out of nowhere." I said.
"Well, I was actually coming to see you." He said. "But you were in a hurry it seems like. I really didn't mean to startle you. I thought you saw me coming."
"No...I didn't." I said. "I'm so sorry..I was preoccupied." He smiled. Mh..Eric actually had a nice smile. I never really paid attention before. Well but then, I never usually paid attention to coworkers, especially the married ones. Yes, I knew I really I didn't have legs to stand on making such statement. Let's put it this way - I never paid attention to married coworkers until Nigel Gallagher. I really didn't know if Eric was married or not. I just never paid attention to him period. Usually a guy like him would be married and cheating on his wife. Or, he would be the eternal bachelor accessorized with a different blond every night. He's just very dapper. He's well dressed, perfect sleeves buttoned with matching cuff links, perfect teeth, inviting smiles. He's got perfect features. He's the equivalent of Victoria in male form. Surprisingly, he's in the most boring part of the business. He handles our financial. I couldn't imagine how boring it would be dealing with Assets, Liabilities, Current Ratio, and the sorts.

I usually would have paid attention to a handsome guy as much as the next chick. However, I work with this guy, and for some reasons, I have formed an opinion about Eric Phillips that he's just another corporate jackass. Surprisingly however, his smile seemed so genuine tonight. I felt a little guilt swirling through my startled chest. I was calling Vic judgmental earlier. I didn't know anything about Eric Phillips to be forming a negative opinion about him. He has never really done anything wrong to me.

"Sabrina..?" Eric said.
"Oh..yeah... uh... is it important? Mh..the thing you want to see me about?"
"It can wait. I should be in tomorrow. We can pick it up tomorrow if you need to run." Eric said.
"Are you sure?" I asked.
"Absolutely."he confirmed. "I didn't think you would still be around. I was just giving it a shot to see if I would catch you."
"And you did." I said and laughed.
He cracked another beautiful smile. "Seriously, it can wait till tomorrow." He said. "I don't want to ruin your night." He said.
"Oh...is that so? Ruin my night how? What did you want to discuss?"
He really laughed now. "Ruin your night by keeping you here instead of letting you to get where you need to be." Eric said.
"Oh." I said and exhaled. He laughed at me.
"A little paranoid, there Sabrina?" I just laughed silly.
"It's been a long day, Eric. Let's just put it that way. I had a lot on my mind."
"Well, go on then. Come see me tomorrow when you have a chance."
"Will do. Have a good night." I said as I started walking away.
"You too." He said. "Be careful now."

I really wondered now what he wanted to talk to me about. Hopefully nothing bad. He probably wanted to talk about budget. I really didn't know. I felt so silly being startled like that. I screamed like a little girl seeing the boogie man, except the boogie man was a gorgeous accountant dressed in Italian tailored suit.

Hey, I actually had to go North on Michigan Avenue to get to Table Fifty-Two, and then head West on Division Street. I didn't have to go South this time. Well, eventually I would be going South to go home. I always head South at the end of the day. It's no surprise if everything else would too.