Welcome and Experience South of the Middle Love Story

South of the Middle Love Story is an online novel. However, you get to follow the journey of the author writing the novel as she goes along. Start reading from Chapter 1 and move on to the next chapter as you would read a novel in a book form. Progressing chapter/s will be published as soon as the author is done writing it. So stay tuned and happy reading!

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Chapter 25

I hate Mondays. I think you know. This Monday in particular was what people called a "Manic Monday." There were just so much to do and so little time. I have been up since 4:00 AM tossing and turning. I still felt the heaviness in my chest thinking about what had happened. I knew it would  take time to get rid of it. In the mean time, it was eating me inside. It was hard to breathe or to close my eyes without thinking about Nigel, Jax, and Victoria. I also thought about Bobbie and Xandra. There would be a lot of things I would need to accomplish before I could get on that plane later.

I finally decided to get off the bed by 6:30 AM and then I went to the gym downstairs and tried to work out some of my angst. I wanted to go for a run by the lake; but it's pretty cold and dark outside. By 8:00 AM, I was out the door.  I got my luggage packed, hauled it downstairs, and got on the cab to go to work.

I called Bobbie from the cab. I was just wondering how she's doing after the break up. She had to be in the same situation as me - a mess. She really loves Sam and I couldn't believe he would break her heart like that. Well, at least he's not cheating on her. He just wasn't ready to talk about having a family and babies. I didn't get Bobbie either though. If she really wanted all that plus more, why would you shack up with a twenty something boy? It was almost a no brainer that he might not be ready for what grown ups would want.

Bobbie always surprised me. She sounded so cheery!
"Good Morning, Sabby!!!"
"Oh..... hello." I said. "You must have had three cups of coffee already."
"No, I haven't." She said. "I haven't had a chance to make coffee yet. I've been busy this morning." She said.
"Okay....well, I'm glad you're feeling fine. I was just calling to check up on you..to see how you're doing."
"I'm fine and happy."
"Oh yeah? How come?"
"Sam came home and apologized last night. I was so happy that he didn't leave. We had an incredible make-up sex last night, ...... and this morning too. He just left for work." She said giddily.
"Oh!" I said in shocked. "In that case, good then." I said. "I have nothing to worry about."
"Dios Mio, if we broke up...I would really miss the sex. He's so good, Sabby and he can last and last and last."
"Oh...okay... enough." I said. "I can get jealous quite quick on that." I said. "Make sure Victoria didn't know about how good he is." I said. I instantly felt bad after saying that. "Sorry, I was being mean."
"Ah...seriously, she better not." Bobbie said. "She can't be so stupid for doing it again to one of us."
"Let's just hope not." I said.
"I love him so much. I wouldn't bring up babies anymore."
"But, sweetie...if that's what you want? You need to be with someone who wants to have babies with you. Don't sacrifice what you want over a man?"
"I'm torn. I've been torn for awhile, you know it." Bobbie said. "But I'm not ready to let him go. Not just yet."
"Well it is up to you, Bob. Your decision."
"Don't call me Bob." She said. "I know what that meant."
"That's when I know when you're head is bobbing." I said and laughed. "You're stubborn as hell, Bob...but, indecisive at the same time."
"I know. He did use a condom this time though and he flushed it down the toilet."
"Okay......?"
"We don't use condoms usually...and he said he just wanted to be safe since I missed my pills. I told him I didn't miss any pills. He could have just thrown the used condoms to the garbage but no...he flushed it. I was offended actually... what? He thought I would fish it out of the garbage and use a turkey baster to inseminate myself?!"
"Oh...and that didn't cause more world war?" I asked in disbelief.
"I started to get mad again...but he seduced me and then, I was just too tired to fight and chose sex instead."
"I don't know what to tell ya, girlfriend. You both have some serious decisions to make. This is not going to last if you didn't get on the same page. That flushing down the toilet act would piss me off so much and not to mention it might plug your plumbing. I will kick his ass." I said, as I started to get pissed.

Bobbie ended up trying to calm me down. It was just in time as the cab was pulling over to drop me off at my building. Sean Talbott was walking in when he saw me. Perfect timing as I needed to talk to him. He smiled and said..."Look it.... It's Sabby in the cabbie." I laughed and then I told him about Xandra's lawsuit. He was game and he was willing to help without giving me any grief at all. Sean always dresses so nicely. I really think he must be gay because he's so damn dapper and so in touch with his feminine side. Too bad, because he's a really sweet guy. All the sweet guys are gay of course. Go figure.

Okay - all the friends were taken care of and now it was time for coffee, then headed to the Monday morning meeting with Jordan. It was hard to see Victoria across the table from me and we didn't talk to each other. She looked tired and sad. I felt I actually looked better than her today. I had on a black legging with ankle boots for easy traveling. I had on a fuchsia cashmere turtle neck inside a black blazer. I put on a wide belt to accentuate my waist. I thought I looked pretty chic. One of Victoria's staff from fashion even gave me a compliment. I couldn't be that shabby Sabby today. Jordan sensed right away there was something off between Vic and me. We both denied it and went about our business. It was really hard for me to look at the picnic pictures of me and Nigel. We actually looked great together.

"I decided to publish the test shoot photos of you and Nigel." Jordan said. "It looked much better than the models." He said as he looked closely at the picture. My coffee almost went down the wrong pipe and I started coughing.
"What??" I said. "That's absurd." I said.
"Yeah..I like it better." Jordan said. "It looked real and believable. You guys actually had better chemistry than the models." Victoria started coughing now. I glared at her.
"I'm sure Nigel wouldn't go for it." I said.
"Let me ask him." Jordan said as he dialed the phone. He called his assistant, Bev and told her to ask Nigel to come to the meeting room if he's free. I was about to die realizing that he was in the building. Oh God...I couldn't face him today. My face was red already thinking about him and Charlotte Reed.

Not long Nigel entered the conference room. He looked so handsome and I couldn't help myself to shudder holding back feelings and amazement dedicated to that man I really loved. The dark brown sweater with a v neck paired with a collared cream colored shirt looked perfect on him. He had such a presence when he entered a room. Everyone looked at him and he scanned the room with such commanding aura. His eyes stopped at me and he smiled ever so manly. I tried to respond to the smile, but I couldn't smile like I was happy to see him. My smile was so awkward and I knew even Victoria noticed it. So did Nigel. His smile changed too almost instantaneously. Good thing Jordan just took over and asked him about the photos.

"These photos are great, Nigel." Jordan. "I want to publish it. I know it's just a test shoot, but if I get your consent, I'd use these instead."
Nigel raised his eye brows and smiled. "Yeah, these are nice."He said as he went through it.
"I agree actually." Tim from Advertising said. "These looked so real." He said.
"What does Sabrina think?" Nigel said without looking at me. Victoria put her eyes on me. I glared at her. She said..
"She looked great in those pictures. I think it was the dress." Vic said. I rolled my eyes.
"I liked them too." I said. "But..the models must have looked better than me, perhaps not better than Nigel." I said. Nigel laughed. "Sabrina, if these pictures were nice, it certainly wasn't because of me." He said and smiled.
"Look at you, honey You're gorgeous...if you have it, flaunt it!" Eric Yee, the stylist said it to me.
I just smiled and scribbled stuff on my note pad. Nigel laughed a little and he looked at me and winced. He had to wonder what was wrong with me. I really wanted to tell him I found out about you being a lying bastard, that's all.
"You have my consent." Nigel said. "It'll be terrific to see myself in Joie for a change." He smiled. "I usually never get to be so lucky."
"It's going to production tomorrow. This is all because of Sabby's work. The food, the setting, and damn..the chemistry between you two are unbelievable. I love it!" Jordan said as he looked at one picture in particular. Nigel snagged that picture from his hand. "I think I'm going to keep this one for myself." He said. He walked towards the door, and he turned around and said.."Anything else?"
"Nope. We're good. Thanks, boss." Jordan said.

I couldn't wait until 2:00 pm when the limo would come to pick Eric and me to go  to O'Hare. I really couldn't believe that I actually couldn't wait for the plane to take off and take me to another world away from all these. I couldn't deal with the ups and downs that my heart has been going through lately. I really would like to see a print out of my Electrocardiogram. I spent some time with my staff in the kitchen and in the studio preparing them for when I would be away.

Around 12:30 PM, Nigel walked in to the kitchen to check me out. Good thing I had people around so he couldn't really be anything but professional.

"Smells good in here." He said.
"Oh hi, Mr. Gallagher." Jenna said and smiled from ear to ear.
"Hello Jenna." He said. "Sabrina."
"Hi." I said curtly. Nigel again looked at me with a puzzled look. But he didn't dwell on it and he continued with a smile.
"What are you cooking that smells so wonderful?"
"Barbecue sauce for the pulled pork sandwich." Jenna said.
"Boy, that made me hungry." He said.
"Oh..too bad it isn't quite ready yet." Jenna said.
"That's okay." Nigel said. "I was going to ask Sabrina to join me for lunch anyway. I want to discuss these pictures that Jordan talked about." I looked up to see him.
"I'm sorry, Nigel. I wouldn't have time today. I'm leaving in an hour to the airport." I said. "I have so much to get done."
"Okay. No worries." he said. "We can discuss it some other time. Can I talk to you for a second though?" He said as he gestured me to go outside the kitchen.
"Of course." I said. "Jenna, I'll be right back. Will you prepare a plate for Mr. Gallagher of what we have prepared other than the pork?" I asked.
"Yes, will do right away."
"Thanks, Jenna." Nigel said.
"I'll send it to your office." Jenna said.

He went in to an empty studio next door. He closed the door and he said to me..
"What's wrong, Sabrina?"
"Nothing's wrong." I said, cold as ice. "How's your wife?"
"She's better. Thanks for asking."
"I'm glad." I said.
"Please don't take me for a fool." He said, changing the subject back to his original path.
"I should have told you the same thing." I said. He frowned.
"I'm not following." He said. "I sent you a text a couple of days ago and you didn't reply. It was not like you." He said.
"I told you we need to stop the communications. I made it clear."
"Okay.." Nigel said. "I told you I was trying."
"Well...try harder." I said as I looked up to meet those beautiful green eyes.
"Darling, please talk to me. I can't do this." He said. "I don't like the way this feels."
"There's nothing to talk about, Nigel." I said. "Look, we definitely can't do this around the office." I said.
"I know. I've just been crazy from missing you." He said as he caressed my face.
"Stop.." I said. I tried to push his hand away but instead he held it. I couldn't deny I love that warmth I felt from his skin.
"Nobody's here." Nigel said.. "Relax." He said.
"We can't do this, and I don't want to do this." I said in a very matter-of-fact tone. "If I have to resign from this company so you get my drift, I will do so." Nigel was taken aback.
"What?" He said. "Just last week you were talking fine over the phone with me on Valentine's Day. I am trying, Sabrina. Don't push me."
"I'm not." I said. "I was trying to make it easy on you." I said. "If it's too hard to have me around here, I can quit."
"I don't want you to quit." He said. "What have you been drinking?"
"Nigel...I'm busy. I am going out of the country." I said. "Just please... "
Nigel looked angry now. He grunted and he said... "Have it your way, Sabrina." He left the studio and left me behind. I was sad as soon as he left. I knew I had made him feel terrible. I didn't get it. When I saw his eyes and when he talked to me, I didn't sense a snake. Those eyes looked genuinely in love with me. His touch and his gazes felt like they belonged to me. I didn't understand and but the fact that there's a Charlotte Reed and he bought her a necklace made him the best actor ever. He should have won an Academy Award for it.

I had perhaps an hour of peace and quiet in my office before Victoria popped her head in acting like she was welcomed. I ignored her and she understood. She told me that she was sorry one more time and she wished me a good trip. Then, the auditors came and asked a couple questions. Then I saw from afar Derek and Nigel were walking together towards the executive wing. I was worried in an instant. How about if he was discussing me threatening to resign or whether he decided to fire me? I got scared all of a sudden. Maybe I needed to do some damage control for letting my emotion got the better of me. Even though I knew it was perhaps the smart thing to do, I couldn't get myself to get up and go to Nigel. I guess qui sera sera. Whatever will be will be.

I had everything packed, and Eric came to get me.

"The limo is here, Sabby. Are you ready?"
"Yes.." I said as I grabbed my business briefcase and purse.
"I'll see you outside." He said. I nodded and smiled.

When I walked out of my office and said good bye to Frances and people around, Nigel was walking towards my office. He said..

"You're ready to go?"
"Yes." I said.
"You're not even going to say good bye?" He asked in front of every one.
"Of course, I will." I said and tried to smile.
"Let me walk you out." He said.
"Bye guys!" I said and smiled.
"Have a great time. Safe travel!" Frances said.
"It is a business trip, Frances." Nigel said. "She's not supposed to have a great time."
"Oh, you know what I mean, Nigel." Frances said.
Nigel just smiled and ushered me as he grabbed my luggage from my hand.
"Thank you." I said.
"My pleasure, love." He said.
I smiled a little. "You really are not trying very hard." We walked into the elevator.
"I decided.." He said.
"What did you decide?" I asked.
"I decided to ignore everything you asked me to do. I have never been that good of a follower. Besides, I'm the boss."
"Oh.." I said. "Is that how it is? I'm sorry, but you're not the boss of me in this matter." I said. "Let me make that clear."
"So you are the boss of me in this matter?" Nigel said. "Have I been demoted?"
"You just don't have jurisdiction over me. Sorry. I'm my own entity." I said. "Whether you like it or not." 
"I am still going to ignore you." He said and smiled.
"Look, I didn't mean to make you mad before." I said. "I just can't do this with you. I don't want to have anything to do with you while you're still married or otherwise."
"Or otherwise?" He said confused. "Sabrina...why are you saying this to me?"
I could only shook my head. I was saved by the elevator door being opened.
Eric came towards us with a smile and shook Nigel's hand.
"Hey Nigel... " He said.
"Take care of her, Eric." Nigel said. "Keep her safe."
"Of course." Eric said and laughed. "Let me get that." He said as he took the luggage from Nigel.
"I can take care of myself." I said.
"She's a feisty one, she will probably keep me safe instead of the other way around." Eric and Nigel both laughed. "Come on, Sabrina...say good bye. We got a jet to catch." Eric said as he walked my luggage to the limo driver.
I turned to Nigel.."Good bye." I said.
"Why did you say otherwise?" Nigel asked. "What do you mean?"
"You don't need me, my love." I said. "Not if you have Charlotte Reed." I said softly in his ear. I kissed his cheek. Then, I said.."Good bye."
He looked at me, and he was about to grab my hand if Eric didn't turn around and walked towards me. Nigel stopped and he said..."Is that what this is about?" He said. "Charlotte Reed?"
"Have a good week!" I said and walked away and entered the car.
Eric raised his hand to Nigel and he also went into the car. Then, we were airport bound.

"Well, Eric...I never thought I would say this..but I can't wait to start this trip with you." I said when I got all comfortable sitting inside this nice stretched limo. He just smiled, that cocky smile I hate but he sure did look hot.
"Right on.." He said.

South East Asia, here we come. Even for a runaway business trip, I'd be heading South. I hope this trip will help me forget and heal some of these pains I felt deep inside of me. I hope some time away would help me let go.